Quantcast

Drinking the koolaid...

OK, so I'm getting hooked on the 29er thing and think I want a single speed to boot. I've only spent minimal time on a 29er, so I don't know alot about them from an experience level. I have a geared 26'' blur 4x that I trail ride, and that is why I'm leaning towards the SS. I'm 6'1 200 lbs. on a good day. I've been looking at the Soul Cycles Dillenger and the Gary Fisher Rig. I really like that the Soul Cycles comes with a SS drop out and one with a deraileur hanger - Good to have options. My shop sells Fisher so I can get one thru them. Anybody have any other suggestions? I looked at niner's and they are a little pricey. Also, what wheels are going to be light enough yet not give a big guy the whole combo meal (think taco bell).

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Regarding wheels, I've been running the original Delgado Disc rims for 3 years now and they've held up under my 200# on very rocky terrain. But I didn't build them, Mike C. did, so they're probably a bit stronger than the average build. Lots more options now. Stans, Synchros, etc.

Regarding frame, I'd look at steel. I've got riding buds who have owned both steel and alum. SS 29ers, and the concensus is that there's a discernable difference in ride quality. That said, the ride quality of the DiSSent is getting good marks over at twentynineinches.com. Your shop can't score you a closeout Ferrous, I suppose? My wife totally digs her 1st gen. Bandersnatch, and the newer version should be Clyde-worthy if you can find one (call up The Path in CA). Then there's always Haro and Redline as other well-regarded budget steel frames. Have fun!
- Joe