Quantcast

Dripping Tabasco

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
with all this dripping and dipping of said hot sauce, i think some buffalo wings are in order tonight
thank you, impressionable teen, for bringing up the subject.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Tabasco is good but for regular seasoning you can't beat Tony's!
Frank's hot sauce got the best rating in some article i read recently (maybe in cooks illustrated?). they made the comment that tabasco was good as an ingredient (to add heat), but not a condiment (too fiery and watery).

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Tenchiro said:
Tobasco is for gringo's! :monkey: Tapatio is about the most mild hot sauce that I would use.
tapatio is good on everything. especially doritos.

BUT, when i have it around, i use this stuff more than anything else. I freakin love it.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
narlus said:
Frank's hot sauce got the best rating in some article i read recently (maybe in cooks illustrated?). they made the comment that tabasco was good as an ingredient (to add heat), but not a condiment (too fiery and watery).
:thumb:

Franks rules. Goes on almost everything in large quantities (cereals and salad type foods are generally exempt). :drool: :oink:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
There's a Mexican place in Portland up by the park that has Witches cottage in it that has like 120 types of hot sauce. The food was average, but I left with a hella burnt tongue from trying all these different types.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I don't like the original tabasco that much, but will use it if it's the only option. It's too vinegary for my tastes and overwhelms the flavor of the food you put it on. However, the Habanero, Chipotle, and Garlic varieties all are pretty good, with less vinegar taste.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
boostindoubles said:
tapatio is good on everything. especially doritos.

BUT, when i have it around, i use this stuff more than anything else. I freakin love it.
tapatio blows.

sriachia (sp) I always have on hand. we call it Cock Sauce, because of the rooster...:D

splat said:
This is what i put on my eggs in the Morning !!! the 2-2-2-2 ( 2 Toast , 2 susage , 2 Eggs over easy , 2 Cheeze on top all for $2.22 )

Yumm Yummm

this sauce is one of my favorites. I have the habanero, the green and the xxx hot stuff. it's all pretty damm hot and it's SUPER cheap. :thumb:

I have easily 10 bottles of hot sauce in my fridge and two on my desk at work. it's almost as important as beer to me..;)

I like a variety though.. but I don't like stuff like Daves Insanity for everyday eating. it's way too hot. I like my food dripping w/ hot sauce...

splat

Nam I am
pnj said:
this sauce is one of my favorites. I have the habanero, the green and the xxx hot stuff. it's all pretty damm hot and it's SUPER cheap. :thumb:

We have the whole collection of them! they are so Tasty ! My personal favorite is the El Yucateco Chipolte Sauce very very tasty , But Red and green are pretty awesome too !

We also have quite a few other to choose from , a Bunch of Dave Sauces, most ofthem are pretty good with good flavor , the insanity , just doesn't add flavor , and that is after all the most important thing .

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Meat Foot said:
Blaire's After Death is where it is at. I swear I saw Elvis last time I had 2 drops on my 3 egg omlete. Says "keep away from children".
I have a bottle of Daves Insanity Sauce in the fridge that I break out occasionally. Mostly just for cooking though.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Meat Foot said:
Blaire's After Death is where it is at. I swear I saw Elvis last time I had 2 drops on my 3 egg omlete. Says "keep away from children".
Yes, Blair's Death Sauce ranks right up there.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
narlus said:
sricacha (sp?) is great.

:thumb:
Yeah that stuff is really good on asain food. I like how it has a sweet side.

Tobasco is perfect for clam chowder and bloody maries :love: .

Has anyone tried chollula (sp?) It is really good on tuna or chicken casseroles (the kind with the bread crumbs). And on eggs.

I also like tapatio. My friends dared me to drink 2 spoonfuls :blah: . It wasn't too hot, mostly strong/rich.

Franks is good too. Its salty which is good (....well for flavor). Its good on eggs and stuff too.

On an 8th grade backpacking trip, the science teacher (cool hippy kind of guy) brought roasted habanero powder. He said its the hottest stuff there is. I put some in my food (just my luck) a breeze blew it into my eye. That f**kin burned for hours. :nuts:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Meat Foot said:
This reminds me of cambells tomato soup I made one time. I put way too much of too many herbs and spices: basil, rosemary, thyme, garlic salt, pepper, oregono,etc. (everything else). : :dead: :

It was strong. I went to bed later. I had such a wierd dream. I saw millions of snowboads aranged next to each other in rows; it was overwelming and I was freaking out:eek: . Later, that night I woke up (and I might have been still dreaming/hilucinating).

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
mtnbrider said:
Has anyone tried chollula (sp?) It is really good on tuna or chicken casseroles (the kind with the bread crumbs). And on eggs.

I also like tapatio. My friends dared me to drink 2 spoonfuls :blah: . It wasn't too hot, mostly strong/rich.

Franks is good too. Its salty which is good (....well for flavor). Its good on eggs and stuff too.
chollula and tapatio are basicly the same thing... I personally don't like the flavor of them. franks is your generic vinegar based sauce. even though I have two giant bottles in the house, cause it's cheap and I like that vinegar zing on occasion.

all the blairs sauces have a strange taste to me. holy hell hot, but they taste funny...

I'm the guy that takes my own bottle of whatever when we go out.. hell, i even took a bottle of sauce to mexico, just to be sure... :drool:

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
damn!! bottled up salsas suck! lots of vinager and shet, if you want to make a cool salsa then follow this steps:
Get one tomato and just put it on a grill 'til the surface gets black(1 tomato)
chop some onions (1/4)
a little bit of olive oil
some lemon
some salt
CHILE SERRANO
Put it on the blender, or a MOLCAJETE if you got one, and thats it, you can use it with quesadillas, meat, if you want to spice your soup...

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
la_cleta said:
damn!! bottled up salsas suck! lots of vinager and shet, if you want to make a cool salsa then follow this steps:
Get one tomato and just put it on a grill 'til the surface gets black(1 tomato)
chop some onions (1/4)
a little bit of olive oil
some lemon
some salt
CHILE SERRANO
Put it on the blender, or a MOLCAJETE if you got one, and thats it, you can use it with quesadillas, meat, if you want to spice your soup...

Man the "taco trucks" serve that with the breakfast tacos. Fresh wins hands down!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this is my favorite for eggs and such:

if you ever go to santa fe, definitely try to eat @ the restaurant. if you don't feel like spending a lot of $ for dinner, grab lunch at the upstairs patio.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
pnj said:
tamotoes suck, hands down.
dam boy! :nope:
then try this one,
lots of serrano chilis
5 green tomatos (they don't taste like tomatos)
1/2 advocado
some olive oil
salt
a little bit of onions

mix the tomatos with the onions, the chiles and the oil. blend it.
add pieces of choped advocado.
there you go

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't do advocado either...:)

green tomatoes have the same texture.. yuck.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
All this talk about hot sauce makes me want to eat spicy food, but unforuntaly I cannot eat any spicy food cuz I got 4 wisdom teeth takin out . I really want to try Dave's and many other gourmet hotsauces, they look soo yummy.
However, I am growing my own habeneros' and serranos', so if anyone has any really good homemade hot sauce recipes other than the ones stated plz hook it up. :)

*edit* some of my favorite hot sauces are (even though they are weak in heat are) : Texas Pete, Tobasco Habenero, Tobasco Chipoltle,Louisiana, and Franks is ok.