Quantcast

Drive Side Bottom Bracket Cup Stripped.... what to do?

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
my right (drive) side bottom bracket cup on my 05 specialized p1 got stripped when i was trying to replace the bottom bracket. its the shimano style cup, its the outside engagement tabs that are stripped. anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
Do you mean the splines on the cup are trashed?

I've never seen one so trashed that the tool didn't work anymore. If this is the case, please post up a picture.

So, the problem is that you have figure a way to extract the BB without trashing the shell. Maybe a screwdriver into a spline and gently tap it in the proper direction to loosen? Take care that the blade *only* touches the BB, slipping out will mar the frame.

Good luck, hope things work (unscrew) out.

Marc

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think what he is saying is that he stripped the slots on the cup as he was trying to remove it.

Seriously, I would take it to a good shop and have them remove it at this point. They still might be able to pull the bb out with their tools (There are a lot of BB removers which screw into the spindle, which gives a tighter fit), or they would be more experienced using the saws, drills, and vises if you really fouled it up.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Do you mean the splines on the cup are trashed?

I've never seen one so trashed that the tool didn't work anymore. If this is the case, please post up a picture.

So, the problem is that you have figure a way to extract the BB without trashing the shell. Maybe a screwdriver into a spline and gently tap it in the proper direction to loosen? Take care that the blade *only* touches the BB, slipping out will mar the frame.

Good luck, hope things work (unscrew) out.

Marc
If he stripped the splines that would have taken some serious force. Unless it was because the tool was not secured and slipped off the splines I would guess it was being turned the wrong way and is now extremely tight. In that case tapping with a screwdriver will have no affect.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
You may just need to secure the bb removal tool to the splines; this is fairly common. Take one of your crank bolts down to an ACE Hardware (or someplace that has a lot of nuts & bolts) and find a bolt with the EXACT threading. You'll need one that's maybe an inch and a half long, as well as a couple of washers and maybe a nut or two.

What you're going to do is slide the bolt into the BB tool and screw it into your BB, matching the tool up to the splines. Tighten that thing down nice and good and then try to screw it off. Make sure that because you're one the drive side that your loosening it in a clockwise direction.

Hopefully that will work for ya, if the splines are truly stripped away, take it to a shop.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
You may just need to secure the bb removal tool to the splines; this is fairly common. Take one of your crank bolts down to an ACE Hardware (or someplace that has a lot of nuts & bolts) and find a bolt with the EXACT threading. You'll need one that's maybe an inch and a half long, as well as a couple of washers and maybe a nut or two.

What you're going to do is slide the bolt into the BB tool and screw it into your BB, matching the tool up to the splines. Tighten that thing down nice and good and then try to screw it off. Make sure that because you're one the drive side that your loosening it in a clockwise direction.

Hopefully that will work for ya, if the splines are truly stripped away, take it to a shop.
i am going to try this. i will post back with results. i hope it works :cheers: