Quantcast

Drive train upgrading.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I know there's a reason SRAM/Shimano/Box are the big 3 of gearing, and as much as I want to run one of these groups, I also have many projects around the house that need/must be done.

I was reading about that small company, MicroShift, and their Advent group, and noticed they offer an 11-42 9speed cog group for a low, low investment. I figure what's the harm in trying?

Am I that stupid, or that cheap, or a combo of both??

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the obvious disclaimer is that the weight isn't as low as the shimano / sram compeitors (SLX & NX respectively, but those also cost more) but for the price it sounds like it functions really well and is very durable.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its interesting, but who really knows how it works and whatnot?

Shimano SLX or Deore is already pretty damn cheap.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd definitely hunt to see what I could put together in a cheap 11 speed system via eBay etc first.

Those cassette gaps stretching 9 speed up to a 42 could get annoying.

I know there's a reason SRAM/Shimano/Box are the big 3 of gearing, and as much as I want to run one of these groups, I also have many projects around the house that need/must be done.

I was reading about that small company, MicroShift, and their Advent group, and noticed they offer an 11-42 9speed cog group for a low, low investment. I figure what's the harm in trying?

Am I that stupid, or that cheap, or a combo of both??
I have been using Microshift on the Moonlander since the spring of 2013 ant they have worked well and been reliable.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
only consideration would be your derailleur. can it handle the spread? are you planning on going 1x9? are you using a long cage derailleur? (SGS vs SG)?

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Starting with the cassette, then will go from there. I do appreciate the input.....

Cassette arrived, installed on wheel, started adjusting derailleur, only to find out I do need one of those hanger extenders. One's ordered, so we'll see from there.

Last edited: