Quantcast

Drivetrain upgrade help.

Pexy13

Chimp
Jun 10, 2020
Greetings!

I have a 29" 3x8 Fuji hardtail.
I own it since new and is now a 5 year old bike and it has stock drivetrain.

Now.
I only change front gears when my chain slips into a lower gear so that I bring it back onto the middle chainring.

All of the shifting is done with a Shimano Acera RD-M360-SGS 8 speed rear derailleur.

I replaced my chain a week ago and now it slips when i put the power down because the cassette is worn.

Since I need to replace the cassette anyway I was thinking of upgrading the drivetrain to a 1x10 settup.

My current components are:
shimano altus sl-m310
shimano altus fd m310
shimano acera rd-m360-SGS

New components I'm thinking about:
shimano deore sl-m6000
Front derailleur delete and just one 32T chainring
shimano deore dr-m6000-sgs
11-34 or 11-36 cassette

All in all I'm thinking this will cost me around 200€
Do you have any other recommendations I should take a look at or what to look for and what to avoid?

I know it would be easier just to sell this bike and save money for a new 1x10 bike but I like how this bike feels and it fits me well so that's why Im going for an upgrade.

Thanks,
Sven

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does your bike use an HG cassette and not a freewheel? If it uses a freewheel, then you are kinda screwed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
the new components seem a decent way to try out one ring up front. make sure your front ring is a narrow/wide one and the derailleur has a clutch and you should be good to go. adding simplicity and dropping weight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Deore is solid stuff.

another option maybe worth considering is a company called Microshift. they seem well reviewed and are at about the price point you're looking at.