Quantcast

Driving Home Minding My Own Business.......

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Monday I driving home from work in my brother in laws GTO. (6.0 litre full Lingenfelter mods about 450HP at the wheels) When this kid in a dodge neon zooms up behind me and is trying to get me to race. Now if I was in my wife's Liberty I may have taken the bait but come on a 200hp Neon?

He pulls up next to me and is giving me the "2 fast to 2 furious drift/race face" and reving the engine and all the stuff. When I don't take the bait he cuts me off and turns on his emergency flashers.

Nice kill dude.

I think I am going to go to the neon boards and start a fight.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hawkeye said:
Monday I driving home from work in my brother in laws GTO. (6.0 litre full Lingenfelter mods about 450HP at the wheels) When this kid in a dodge neon zooms up behind me and is trying to get me to race. Now if I was in my wife's Liberty I may have taken the bait but come on a 200hp Neon?

He pulls up next to me and is giving me the "2 fast to 2 furious drift/race face" and reving the engine and all the stuff. When I don't take the bait he cuts me off and turns on his emergency flashers.

Nice kill dude.

I think I am going to go to the neon boards and start a fight.

Ne0nz pwn3z!!!1

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Polandspring88 said:
Lame. How's the GTO drive?

It's a great car. Stock it seemed a tad bit heavy, fast, but heavy. It seemed like the car wanted to go faster but it's size held it back.

With the mods it just has so much power. It pulls in every gear and sounds unreal.

I don't know if anyone told you. But the seats in the GTO have got to be the best on the market. It's like sitting in a recliner.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I had a red '99 Dodge Neon that had been "tuned" by its previous owner...

...worst piece of $hit car I have ever owned. Within one year, it had stranded me helpless three times, once without any brakes save the emergency handbrake. I quickly unloaded it for a song and still felt like I cheated the buyer. Because it was so light, if would accellerate decently for a 4-banger but nothing like I experienced in my old 455 Firebird.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Sorry I forgot to add that if in the Wife's Liberty I would have won by rolling down the rear windows with my nifty rear power window switch.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have a 98 (completely stock, base model) Neon. It is a cheap yet reliable commuter. They are decent little cars for the price but nothing special. I am not sure what draws the fast and furious crowd to them.

Soon to be replaced by a Ducati though.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Hawkeye said:
I'm sure they are. But 11 second quarter fast? Not to mention we were on the highway. There is no way a Neon could hang with a 450hp v8 on the highway. The GTO can go 175 all day (only in a school zone)
Actually there are plenty of SRT Neons out there pushing well over 300 and some close 400hp, and since they weigh about 1200lbs less then the GTO, there is a good possibility you woulda gotten worked.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Actually there are plenty of SRT Neons out there pushing well over 300 and some close 400hp, and since they weigh about 1200lbs less then the GTO, there is a good possibility you woulda gotten worked.

Fine on a track, but not on a highway full of cars.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MTB_Rob_NC said:
It does not negate the fact that it's still a supremely poufy gay car. No amount of horsepower can make a Neon cool.
Hawkeye said:
Fine on a track, but not on a highway full of cars.
Well said. :thumb:

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
haha... ouch! :) i have had a few of the same attempts to race since i bought my WRX. every too fast too furious car out there feels the need to race me..... i think it looks like a "race car" to these people because of the 17" black 12-spoke wheels.... thus far i have been able to resist racing anyone... its been tempting a couple of times, though......especially this M5 that was trying really hard to get me to race him! I do want to take my car to the scca races when they are in town just to see what it throws out there for a 1/4 time... its pretty damn quick....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
nikwho said:
haha... ouch! :) i have had a few of the same attempts to race since i bought my WRX. every too fast too furious car out there feels the need to race me..... i think it looks like a "race car" to these people because of the 17" black 12-spoke wheels.... thus far i have been able to resist racing anyone... its been tempting a couple of times, though......especially this M5 that was trying really hard to get me to race him! I do want to take my car to the scca races when they are in town just to see what it throws out there for a 1/4 time... its pretty damn quick....

M5's are probably not to be trifled with...

I'm just jealous. My Mazda3 is slower than MMike's Jetta...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ciaran said:
It does not negate the fact that it's still a supremely poufy gay car. No amount of horsepower can make a Neon cool.

Well said. :thumb:
Actually with the Neon being smaller, and lighter, it would be easier to dart in and out of traffic on the Hwy. Which of course, racing on the highway is stoopid.

Anyway, onto the comments about the cars themselves.

The Neon, although it a piece of crap sold phenominally well for the majority of its lifecycle (they no longer make it). And it was cheap to make.

The GTO (with a beast of a drivetrain) is still a piece of crap, expensive to make and doesn't sell (which is the case for most of GM's products), so more than likely it will be discontinued as soon as the new F-Body (Camaro/Firebird) is released.

The Neon SRT4 has been widely regarded as the best bang for the buck performance vehicle for the past few years.

But then again, what do I know. Its not like I look at sales statistics and automotive financial information all day long. :rolleyes: Oh wait, yes I do. :cool:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
MTB_Rob_NC said:
The GTO (with a beast of a drivetrain) is still a piece of crap, expensive to make and doesn't sell (which is the case for most of GM's products), so more than likely it will be discontinued as soon as the new F-Body (Camaro/Firebird) is released.
I read 2006 will be the last model year for the GTO, regardless of the new F-body (which is not officially a "go" yet).

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Actually with the Neon being smaller, and lighter, it would be easier to dart in and out of traffic on the Hwy. Which of course, racing on the highway is stoopid.

Anyway, onto the comments about the cars themselves.

The Neon, although it a piece of crap sold phenominally well for the majority of its lifecycle (they no longer make it). And it was cheap to make.

The Neon SRT4 has been widely regarded as the best bang for the buck performance vehicle for the past few years.

But then again, what do I know. Its not like I look at sales statistics and automotive financial information all day long. :rolleyes: Oh wait, yes I do. :cool:

so, just because i got a kick out of your comments on these other cars, what say you about the impreza WRX's???

eta: racing cars on the highway is VERY stupid!!! If you have the bug, they sponser SCCA races all over the country, all the time! ands its legal!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
I have a 98 (completely stock, base model) Neon. It is a cheap yet reliable commuter. They are decent little cars for the price but nothing special. I am not sure what draws the fast and furious crowd to them.

Soon to be replaced by a Ducati though.
Good boy.:)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Transcend said:
Monster Dark is a really nice bike, what size you getting? I believe there is now a few different Monster Darks (engine size etc).
Whatever I can find used for $3000 or so. Maybe a 620 but hopefully bigger.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Tenchiro said:
Whatever I can find used for $3000 or so. Maybe a 620 but hopefully bigger.
I hear ya man.
I like the fact that the new Monster 695 and the GT 1000 now have longer service intervals, but new bikes are expensive.
Another thing I have noticed is that the resale value on Monsters are sky high, and they sell quick as hell too. If you find one you like, snatch it up!
Right now, I am just dreaming, but I want a Ducati someday for sure.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So do we need to look for a wrecked Neon thread soon? Similiar to the wrecked Ferrari thread a while back?
Neon guys are lacking something, thats for sure. After you spend hours polishing a turd, thats what you have, a polished turd...

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Jeremy R said:
I hear ya man.
I like the fact that the new Monster 695 and the GT 1000 now have longer service intervals, but new bikes are expensive.
Another thing I have noticed is that the resale value on Monsters are sky high, and they sell quick as hell too. If you find one you like, snatch it up!
Right now, I am just dreaming, but I want a Ducati someday for sure.

I'm most likely going for the 695 once I'm 18. Either that or a new ktm 450sm :drool:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ducatis kick ass. :thumb: That new Triumph looks like the dog's nuts too.

I once rented a compact and got a Pontiac Sunfire. That was the biggest piece of sh1t I ever drove. Ever. Worse than a beaten up 1968 beaten up Citroen 2CV. I took it back and they exchanged it for a Dodge Neon, which was a breath of fresh air in comparison, but still not what I'd call a nice car.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm suddenly reminded of that thread sometime last year, where the topic of Cavalier-driving ricerboys came up. I think Toshi would remember, but anyone else?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MTB_Rob_NC said:
The last time my brother was at Rockingham blowing up his Corrado, there was a neon there running in the 9's. And street legal.

You can make anything fast, it is just a question of how long it stays together.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
That's a hard call, I might have done a half gear pull just to remind him how crappy his car is... the temptation to embarass a moron is hard to resist. On the subject of crappy domestic econoboxes, a sunfire once tried to chase my admittedly very slow but quite flickable golf down a windy mountain road... and crashed into a guard rail. The funny part was he was egging me on trying to get me to go faster. I watched it go down and the rear view and went back to make sure he was fine, while trying very hard not to laugh.