Quantcast

Driving Rt 1 from San Fran to LA-suggestions...

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Taking a couple days to drive from San Fran to LA with the wife. We're looking for suggestions on places to stop, places to stay, eat etc. We'll probably spend 2 nights along the way. We've been to LA a few times, so we're just looking for suggestions on places on the way down. We'd like to see some redwoods, maybe some wine country (I know these both are better north of SF, but I hear there are some south as well?) and some gorgeous spots along the coast....and anything else taht would be worth stopping for. Thanks,Seth

snaps-alot

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
Los Angeles - Westside
schwaaa31 said:
Taking a couple days to drive from San Fran to LA with the wife. We're looking for suggestions on places to stop, places to stay, eat etc. We'll probably spend 2 nights along the way. We've been to LA a few times, so we're just looking for suggestions on places on the way down. We'd like to see some redwoods, maybe some wine country (I know these both are better north of SF, but I hear there are some south as well?) and some gorgeous spots along the coast....and anything else taht would be worth stopping for. Thanks,Seth
are you camping or staying at motels? the reason I ask is because campsites/and or motels are usually heavily booked at this time so that could dictate where you spend your nights, but as for sights I would definitely check out big sur, santa cruz (esp if you have your bike) san simeon for the Hearst castle -you should take at least one tour if your going this way, and the wine country in Santa Barbara (the movie Sideways was shot there) - good luck and have a great drive-

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
We'll be staying at hotels. I was hoping to just wing it and find places to stay as we went. Maybe I'll look into booking a couple places in advance. Thanks for the tips!

Also looking for a good hotel to spend a night in SF. Something moderately priced, and in a decent area.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
too bad you aren't heading north out of s.f. instead of south.

that would be the real drive.

enjoy the trip.

snaps-alot

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
Los Angeles - Westside
schwaaa31 said:
We'll be staying at hotels. I was hoping to just wing it and find places to stay as we went. Maybe I'll look into booking a couple places in advance. Thanks for the tips!

Also looking for a good hotel to spend a night in SF. Something moderately priced, and in a decent area.
definitely do this - as you don't want to get stuck checking into some fleabag motel in the middle of the night because there's nothing vacant :dead: this almost happened to me and my wife last time we went to the Hearst castle. as far as hotels, they're all over priced, but you cant go wrong with the Hyatt or Marriot - there's some cool smaller ones, but I'm at a loss to remember the names.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Definitely make reservations - things will be full in mid-vacation season. I second visiting Big Sur and San Simeon/Hearst Castle. Carmel and Monterey are real cool, too. (although if you really are taking the 1 all the way, you'll drive through all this.)