Quantcast

Driving with an expired registration.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I know this is kind of state by state basis but if my registration is expired and I'm just waiting to get my registration sticker can I still be ticketed?

I have a road trip next weekend and my registration is expired and I won't be able to have a new sticker for atleast 2 weeks.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
I know this is kind of state by state basis but if my registration is expired and I'm just waiting to get my registration sticker can I still be ticketed?

I have a road trip next weekend and my registration is expired and I won't be able to have a new sticker for atleast 2 weeks.
How did you renew? Did you do it online? If so print all that crap and bring it with you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Currently I have expired registration, tax and inspection stickers. I need to get the crap taken care of but have not had the time.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
you definitely can be ticketed for not having the sticker

I was chased by a state boy while headed up the northway in heavy traffic, thru a construction area, everybody was spending, I didnt have my seatbelt on ..........but I didnt have that damn little sticker on my boat trailer's license plate, and thats all he cared about - he gave me a ticket even thou the trailer was legally registered

I think his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/whatever wouldnt let him buy a boat so he was punishing everyone else with one

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I am 2 month expired. I never got the paperwork in the mail. The only day the DMV is open late is next Wed.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
If you get a ticket and can prove you had already sent in the renewal when you got the ticket they would probably give you a break in court, depending on the judge.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
If you get a ticket and can prove you had already sent in the renewal when you got the ticket they would probably give you a break in court, depending on the judge.
My road trip will be like 700miles away. I wouldn't want to have to go to court 700miles away.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
riderx said:
I think the fine here is $250. Sounds like you are screwed if you get pulled over, 2 months is a while.
yeah my GF always drives my Xterra since her commute is shorter. It's my fault for not looking but I never drive the xterra.

Fawk....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I drove across country with an expired registration. Just don't let your insurance run out...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
hahaha - I was 3 months late on my registration this year, and I didn't even have to pay a late fee??? so nuts, and i KNow there were cops on my butt a couple of times looking closely at my tags, but I never got pulled over.

I don't think another state's cop will pull you over unless you're doing something obviously wrong in your car..at which point that just becomes a nice little extra "tip" for the PD.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
SkaredShtles said:
I may be wrong about this, but if you're going to another state, I don't think there's really anything the other state's cops can do about expired plates.......

-S.S.-
werd. in NC, we can pull you over for an out of state expired tag but we can't write a citation on it.
for the most part, pulling people over for expired reg. is just a reason to stop and hopefully get something bigger out of it like suspended license, no insurance, DWI or drugs. if i pull someone for being expired they just get a warning unless i find something bigger to write for. that's probably how i get over half of my good busts is from simple stuff like that.

also, it's hard enough memorizing the year/month stickers in this state...i don't even look at out of state tags, too confusing. just fyi

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
manimal said:
werd. in NC, we can pull you over for an out of state expired tag but we can't write a citation on it.
for the most part, pulling people over for expired reg. is just a reason to stop and hopefully get something bigger out of it like suspended license, no insurance, DWI or drugs. if i pull someone for being expired they just get a warning unless i find something bigger to write for. that's probably how i get over half of my good busts is from simple stuff like that.

also, it's hard enough memorizing the year/month stickers in this state...i don't even look at out of state tags, too confusing. just fyi
I was thinking that when I move out of state, I could just tear off my registration tags when I get there before I get a new plate...oh yes :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Next Wed.? What about tonight?
have a meeting with my architecture group. I would have changed it had I known about wed being their late day. I didn't know till I was at work today.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
manimal said:

I was hoping you would chime in!

Gotten any good busts out of it?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
stosh said:
yeah my GF always drives my Xterra since her commute is shorter. It's my fault for not looking but I never drive the xterra.

Fawk....

peel the sticker off your girlfriends car and put it on yours. hopefully you won't get pulled over for anything else.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
laura said:
peel the sticker off your girlfriends car and put it on yours. hopefully you won't get pulled over for anything else.
ha, brilliant!