Quantcast

Drop bars to pursuit bars

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As I pursue (heh) a decent commuter bike, I've been thinking of trying to ride my roadie to work. Thing is, I'm not very good/don't want to ride drops in traffic. I'm wondering if I can switch to a pursuit bar and still use my nice brifters, or if that's not going to work at all. I had partially intended on getting this bike for tris, but it came with drops, which I've used for casual riding. Flat bars aren't really an option since I'd have to buy all new switchgear.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Pursuit bars=bullhorns?

I don't know what the difference would be between those and just riding on the hoods with a traditional setup. You are going to take up a bunch of the 'horns' with the brifters -- traditional brakes would go into the ends of the bars -- which I think is going to negate any benefit.

The cable routing is going to be an issue too especially if it is all under the bar type.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmm, I suppose that's a good point. Yeah, they're near-new ultegras, which is why I don't want to get rid of them. They have the under the tape routing....oh well, thanks for the reply.