Quantcast

DROP to FLAT

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Hay you guys really helped mt last time thanks for the killer advice on the forks, but now I am woundering what the best way to land from a large drop to flat. what steps should I be doing or working on before I start trying drops around 4ft. I really want to drop off the loading bay at work. any advice. THANKS
PEACE

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
just practice on smaller stuff.

go fast. the faster you go, the smoother you will land.(usually...)

try to land on your rear wheel.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
If you can land 3 feet 4 feet is the same, but dropping to flat is hard on the bike and messes up your rims. Go find a drop with a nice tyranny.

Juanjo

Chimp
May 15, 2004
NJ/NY USA
A 3 and 4ft. drop to flat won't kill the rims...unless you have cheap XC rims...
Just pull before the drop and land with the rear wheel...

Here you have some pics of 3 & 4 ft. drop . hope it help...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Weaver said:
this thread should be deleted.... drops to flat are just plain dumb....
nice opinion......

someone asked how to do something, I don't see the need to pass judgement. :evil:

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
THanks for the advice, I know drops to flat are not the best but the loading dock at work keeps calling to me. and Juanjo those are some cool pics. thanks for the advice I will try to land mostly on the back wheel, and get some speed going, I didnt think about that. and I have a good set of rims so I hope to be ok.
thanks alot greatly appreciated

Thanks for the input, guys ( all but Weaver's usless input, why post it your not going to add somthing usfull to the post you dont have to reply you know, thats the biggest problem I find on other forums ive used in the past)

Juanjo

Chimp
May 15, 2004
NJ/NY USA
Go for it man..... and post pics when the job is done...

And for that hater who said that drops to flat are estupids ...here you have one in wich I agree...

10ft. to flat is stipid... but no 4 or 5ft

Attachments

Mar 30, 2004
Lexington, KY
Your going to drop off a 4ft loading dock to a flat? Shouldn't be too hard. 4 feet wont do anything to your bike. Dropping down from like 7 feet to a flat is not a good idea though unless you are really good at surges and jap slaps and stuff. Like they said, just land on your back tire. Or if you want you could go right beside the edge and side hop over, thats what i usually do on loading docks and it works pretty well.

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
ya 10ft is crazy but too each their own I guess, Juanjo your new pic is huge, thats cool. and a side hope might be something to try a little later.
thanks guys
I may try it going fast into it to start then try moving in slower once Im comfortable, we will see how it goes
as for a pic we'll see, later though

dude, 4-5 feet ain't nothing. i;ve done them on my Bruiser with a 2002 Z1 FR, with the old stancions and everything, and stock v-brake rims soooo many times, just make sure your rear wheel lands first and hold on to the handlebar. don't be a pussy, it is not that bad at all. oh yeah, speed helps too, but wheelie drops at the height is easy too.

in shot, if you have any balls at all, by all means go for it.

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
good bike -check
balls -check
attempting very soon, - check
my rims are "Alex DM-20, double wall" so they can handle it, dont worry I will be trying it soon, thanks for the push though

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There are two ways to drop:

1-Ride off the edge with speed with your weight back; this will keep the bike relatively level in the air (or you can manual off if you have tons of control and want to land rear-first). Landing this to a transition (down-slope) should be done with the wheels level or just a touch nose-down, but landing to flat should be done rear wheel first; it helps soak up the shock.

2-Wheelie drop. Going slow, use wheel torque to lift the front end in a classic wheelie (low gear, power stroke at the cranks, weight back) and ride off in the wheelie. Takes coordination and timing to get down right, and terrain can really mess this one up. You can catch your back wheel on a little rock and go nose-down over the drop pretty easily. Land rear-wheel first to flat; if there's a transition, do your best not to wheelie too high and try to get the nose level to down (just like technique 1., really).

Obviously, staying loose is important in both techniques.

Best thing to do is practice on curbs. Learn to get the the point where you can control if you'll land front/rear first or level. If you can do that off a curb, you've got a lot of control...the curb's low height forces you to really be quick about getting the bike in the right position to land.

Then build up height g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y. Do drops when you want to and feel positive about it, not when you've got to get yourself all keyed up to face the prospect of doing it. You'll always feel a little tingle of fear, which is fine, but you have to want to do the drop in your gut AND your mind before it's worth the risk.

One bad drop can hurt you and wreck your gear, so it's better to have fun and learn 2-3 foot stuff instead of possibly hurting yourself trying 4-5 feet too early. But once the technique is right, height doesn't matter so much until you get stupid-big...in which case you need to realize that you should be strength training to help your body withstand the shock and abuse. It's not all mental.

-MD, the anti-hucker

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Mike D, thanks for the great tips. I will really keep them in mind, I too wanted to build up to a 4-5 footer where once Im consistant and confidant go bigger. Great advice
PEACE

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey liquid that is a sick atvar. it just works so perfectly!! :thumb:

oh yeah don't land too much on the rear wheel. that just plain sucks. if you pull it off it just feels creepy, it you don't your back will hate you.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I used to think it was cool to drop to flat on a steel hardtail with 3in. of travel. I ruined 2 wheels. Millions of tubes. A tire.

It's a bad Idea, it's not enjoyable, but if you are an anger ninja...

Land on your back wheel lightly.
Let the bars slide forward and down in a controlled motion.
Ideally you will almost bottom out.
Speed isn't all that important.
High tire pressure is good.

Sometimes it isn't even possible to be comfortable on flat landings.
5 feet to favement is doable even on my bike.
Any bigger, and your looking at new rims...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
For the record, I agree...dropping to flat, simply to do so, is dumb. It's a skill you need to have, just in case, but it's not something that's really worthwhile or fun, unless you're a trials rider.

MD

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
thanks guys I agree drop to flat is'nt the best but ya i want to know how, thanks for all the great advice there are just some flats that I gotta try
PEACE

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
MikeD said:
For the record, I agree...dropping to flat, simply to do so, is dumb. It's a skill you need to have, just in case, but it's not something that's really worthwhile or fun, unless you're a trials rider.

MD

I dissagree. I think the more different aspects of riding one has under his/her belt will make them that much better of a rider. Having the technique and ability to land a drop to a flat will make him that much better at dropping other things in the future. And 4 feet to flat shouldn't hurt too many components unless you really come down hard on your bike.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
some people do not enjoy buying new crank arms, bb, rims, frames, or forks because of dropping to flat. it's hard on the bike, it's hard on you, it sucks. not early as much fun as landing to a tranny, i think most people who enjoy landing to flat are scarred of landing to a tranny.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
eh 10' to flat really isn't dumb, provided u have the right setup, but more or less its painful to the ankels and wrist, even more so on a hardtail... i learned well

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
ibismojo said:
some people do not enjoy buying new crank arms, bb, rims, frames, or forks because of dropping to flat. it's hard on the bike, it's hard on you, it sucks. not early as much fun as landing to a tranny, i think most people who enjoy landing to flat are scarred of landing to a tranny.
i agree. even after several years of practice, i am still really sketchy on drops. i tend to break stuff, bend crankarm, bend wheels, DESTROY bottom brackets. unless you're really smooth, then start off on trannys. much smoother, very fun, and the G forces ( for lack of a better term ) when you come off the tranny can be a rush.

p.s. anybody watch women's gymnastics in the olympics? that carly patterson chick is hot.

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
I think drops to flat arent as deadly as some of you try to make it. Run the right equipment, start small and work your way up, and at some point 9 or 10 feet isnt such a huge threat. If you are someone who likes to drop to flat, buy some beefy rims. I started doing drops on a hardtail with intensemag30s and got up to 6 or 7 feet to flat concrete, and they never came out of true. Then when I made the transition to a dh bike with 9 in of travel, I was able to step it up a lot. Dont get me wrong though, even with nine inches of rear wheel travel, 10 feet to flat hurts a lot, and has to knock some life out of the bike. Just have fun with it and dont let others pressure you to the point of getting hurt. Then again, dont let people talk you out of doing something that you think you can do!

oddblob

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Salem, Oregon
I'm old (42) and fat (220lbs) and I have a ramp in my yard currently at 3ft+ height. I do an average of 30 drops a day off it and I'm probably up to about 1000 total drops. No sign of trouble with my bike or my rims - although both are beefy. Other than some forearm strain and tired thigh muscles I feel pretty good too. I would think you youngsters who don't have a potbelly to weigh you down shouldn't have a problem dropping loading docks repeatedly. For me, two things help my drops: When I look where I want to land instead of fixating on the end of the ramp, my landings are smooth. When I don't, they are mostly rear-first with an occasional nose dive when i'm getting tired. The other thing is pedal cadence. I used to think shear speed made all the difference, but I've since discovered that if time my run-up so that I am just finishing a solid pedal stroke as I take off, I am much smoother and more consistent.

Just my thoughts...

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Liquid said:
good bike -check
balls -check
attempting very soon, - check
my rims are "Alex DM-20, double wall" so they can handle it, dont worry I will be trying it soon, thanks for the push though
Was wondering if you tried it yet?? Cuz a drop off a loading dock isn't very hard at all...it was one of the first things I ever dropped...Did it on my DH rig and my XC bike...just hurts your ankles a bit if you don't land right...not trying to brag but I'm a girl and you're all acting like it's gonna kill you if you do it...not much coordination needed at all... :confused:

goodtobeIrie said:
Was wondering if you tried it yet?? Cuz a drop off a loading dock isn't very hard at all...it was one of the first things I ever dropped...Did it on my DH rig and my XC bike...just hurts your ankles a bit if you don't land right...not trying to brag but I'm a girl and you're all acting like it's gonna kill you if you do it...not much coordination needed at all... :confused:

ouch...OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :think:

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Hay thanks for all the inputs, I actually have tried it, cant get any pics though, but was not as bad as I though, It was a hard landing, still gotta work on the soft landing, O well it will come, its cool though, thanks

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I rode a ht urban for a few months, I was pretty good, but dh is more fun. big drops to flat are garbage. No challenge, no fun, no creativity. stall. kick. flop. ride away!

flop is an important step. YOu gotta flop.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
if u got a hard tail an 4 to flat is killer on ur rims even just 4. Ive tacoed a rim on drops to flat not that much bigger than that its just not a great idea on a hardtail

look 4 transitions
peace and good luck