Quantcast

Dropkick Murphys

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Too bad the Kid (Mark Orrell) wont be there...he has moved on. One of the best guitars out there these days. Great showman!

I was trying to go see them in Austin next weekend, but their web site says the show is sold out. May go anyway, try to scalp or sneak in...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Well unfortunately I was wrong on the days so Stinky couldn't join me last night, sold the ticket to some kid at face value - made his night since it was sold out.

Gotta admit that I had a hell of a lot of fun at the show, acted like I was 18 again: Crowd surfed (some dudes thought it was funny to see the old guys up there... white in my beard gave me away), was front and center so when the "pit" (much tamer than I remember) started I was in the fray - but got out pretty quickly (remember why we used to wear steel toes... chucks do not protect!). So I had fun, but having a flight at 6am this morning hurt. I am NOT 18 anymore…

However... the sound SUCKED - if you didn't know the words/songs you would have no clue what they were saying. Hell at one point the lead singer (Al Barr) was talking to the crowd and it was nearly inaudible. That and he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else... haggard, tired, and just didn't seem into it. He eventually got into it... but it took a couple songs. They could have sent half the band home - it was all just garbled noise. I don't know if it was the venue or that DM just has a 'volume to 11' mentality - but I am damn disappointed.

I need to find out if it’s the venue (Marquee Theater in Tempe, AZ) or the Murphys. If that is how DM does their shows – I would never pay to see them again. If it is the venue, I am going to sell off my ticket to Floggin Molly (in 2 weeks).

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Too bad the Kid (Mark Orrell) wont be there...he has moved on. One of the best guitars out there these days. Great showman!

I was trying to go see them in Austin next weekend, but their web site says the show is sold out. May go anyway, try to scalp or sneak in...
They were playing a show at a bar in Tempe, AZ. several years ago and it sold out. I went down to the bar to see if any tickets were gonna be sold at the door. The bar was open so I went in to have a beer. I sat at the bar with Marc, Al, and Spicy and BS'd with them for a couple of hours. I asked them if they knew if any tickets were gonna be available that night and Marc said "Why? we'll just put you on the guest list." He hooked me up with 4 tickets and backstage passes.

I saw them a couple of years later at the Marquee and I agree, the sound sucks at that place.