Quantcast

Droppers on a DH bike?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
We haven't seen this yet, really. But it's only a matter of time before The Industry™ comes out with internal routing and a shorter post with 80mm of travel specifically for a DH bike. You know as well as I do that we don't need this, but The Industry™ sees this as a new selling point. Not only a new idea, but a new "standard" must arise out of this too- 36.9mm dia. will be the new size since they have to jam more shit inside a smaller post.

It's only a matter of time...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I used to run my seat pretty high on my Canfield F1. I could have used a short dropper. Why not?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't see why not. most of you guys seem to be riding DH bikes a similar weight to my 120mm bike

Don't see the point in a short dropper ever though. 200mm is about right for any of my bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You'll notice most of the dumb ideas are squarely targeted towards the trail bike market.

There are many reasons for this.
kind of like how all the "plus" size tire nonsense seems to have steered clear of the DH realm.

(pro-tip: not really. we had 3" tires over a decade ago, realized they sucked, and left them to the dustbin of history).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
kind of like how all the "plus" size tire nonsense seems to have steered clear of the DH realm.

(pro-tip: not really. we had 3" tires over a decade ago, realized they sucked, and left them to the dustbin of history).
The 3.0ish dh tires had sidewall support too.

It really says something when the idea that bigger tires might provide better traction is a revelation. If that was news to you, you're an idiot. And if you don't realize the compromises that come with it, you're probably not cornering very fast.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The 3.0ish dh tires had sidewall support too.

It really says something when the idea that bigger tires might provide better traction is a revelation. If that was news to you, you're an idiot. And if you don't realize the compromises that come with it, you're probably not cornering very fast.
just cornering? :busted:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ievery time I see a 'dh' bike listed under 35lbs I have to laugh. Whatever wheels and tires it takes to reach that negate it being a dh bike. Those are internet picture models.
I agree.
My 120mm bike weighs 36lb (with single plys)
Fuck.my hardtail weighs 32.
DH is 41
I like a solid dependable bike.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I agree.
My 120mm bike weighs 36lb (with single plys)
Fuck.my hardtail weighs 32.
DH is 41
I like a solid dependable bike.
My Hardtail (Chameleon) is 30lbs, My Trail Bike (Blur LT) is 32lbs, my DH bike (Plastic V10cc) is 35lbs.[XXL!!]

None are built 'light' excepting DH is tubeless (but its getting an Avy soon to swap for Vivid Air, so make that 36.5lbs.)

KoolAid is delicious, cant wait to build a Bronson. (I have always been an SC whore, already on my 7th, because XL - and now XXL)

Clarity: No XXL Bronson, because SC thinks tall people should ride 29" -- not sure why they dont still have 26" for shorter riders then.........

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
On the local lift hill, some of the best trails are at the far end of the ridgeline. So for every run you get to do a mile of xc across the top. Dropper post would work in this scenario. However, I have a quick-release that works great. Get off the lift - Seat goes up, pedal to trail, seat goes down, rip downhill to the lift, repeat until worn out or crashed out. On a DH bike I just don't see it, unless you are doing some huge mountain to sea ride, and have a few pedal sections that could take advantage of said technology. For regular push-up, shuttle, or lift hills, I don't see the need.

Oh, and so I can get in on the willy waving.....

DH - Knolly Podium @ 36lbs full coil.
Trail - Knolly Endorphin 30lbs full air.
Both size large.

But seeing they are both 26" - I guess I'm not qualified to wave teh willy.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I would use one on my DH bike since it's a resort bike only, and does have to be pedaled around to get to some good stuff even with the lifts. It would need internal routing to stay out of the way though.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My Hardtail (Chameleon) is 30lbs, My Trail Bike (Blur LT) is 32lbs, my DH bike (Plastic V10cc) is 35lbs.[XXL!!]
My Hardtail (STP) has been 30lb... Shit bent (I bend/twist old skool Pikes rather a lot and can't get away with light rims/cranks) so it went back to a more appropriate weight for me.
I don't have a "trail bike" my 120mm bike is a slopestyle frame. same deal with the parts choice as the STP.
But I regularly do ride both of those for 30mile+ 6000ft+ loops.

Your V-10 with a dropper sounds ideal as a "trail bike" for me.
Tell me MOAR...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I would also use a dropper on my dh bike for pedaling to and from the trails, plenty of resorts that host dh races have a long pedal to the parking lot or to trails etc.

Be awful tough to put into a v10 tho

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
plenty of resorts that host dh races have a long pedal to the parking lot or to trails etc.
My closest DH venue is Innerleithen - probably the UK's most used DH venue. Race uplift starts 1 mile from the finish area/pits along an undulating tarmac road.
I used to always fit a longer seatpost and raise it after each run to pedal to the uplift. Miles more efficient so not only meant you 'd get more practice runs but you'd have far more energy to actually ride the track.
I also had a waterbottle cage fitted to my Sunday (Pre-Enduro)

My first two proper DH frames actually had waterbottle bosses.
In the UK if you ride DH be prepared to spend 95% of your time pushing/waiting and 4% actually riding. do what you will with that other 1%

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I always carry something like this:

but I am an experienced mechanic.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Most of these reasons you guys are giving would also be solved by a quick release seat collar.
Same could be said for any trail bike, but we all know the convenience factor of a dropper.....in fact, my dropper gets the most use in situations like @Gary and I just described. For most trail riding I don't really use it a ton. (which is partially due to where I live)

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah... any of the bikes I have which have droppers they get used tons.
Proper descents or jumping it's slammed and longer climbs it'll be at full height. but for everything else it's up and down if and when required.
Kinda the entire point of running one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Same could be said for any trail bike, but we all know the convenience factor of a dropper....
"pedaling to the lift" or "traversing the top of the ski hill" to get to another area is not the same thing as riding rolling terrain with climbs and flats in the middle of a 20 minute trail. Hopefully you're not riding your dh bike on stuff like that.....if you are, then yeah, that's just like any trail bike. But doing it once is not.

To me it's just one more thing to break. It's enough of a project to keep dh bikes in one piece beating the shit out of them for 15 laps a day. Plus money, plus weight.....I just don't need it. I ride my dh bike downhill. If it's not downhill, I don't ride my dh bike. ;)

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
The Phoenix Carbon already has routing for a stealth dropper post. Most DH bikes will work with external routed dropper. It's not really a new thing.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
trail bike rips out here...if you have bitchin' geo™, otherwise forget about it.
no idea - i'm still on aluminimum and don't start rides until after 8pm.
maybe that's why i only see pivot owners riding in packs and never solo. in case a bike melts they have a support system in place to comfort one another.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
trail bike rips out here...if you have bitchin' geo™, otherwise forget about it.
no idea - i'm still on aluminimum and don't start rides until after 8pm.
maybe that's why i only see pivot owners riding in packs and never solo. in case a bike melts they have a support system in place to comfort one another.
So they don't melt at the same time? Go figure...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
My Hardtail (STP) has been 30lb... Shit bent (I bend/twist old skool Pikes rather a lot and can't get away with light rims/cranks) so it went back to a more appropriate weight for me.
I don't have a "trail bike" my 120mm bike is a slopestyle frame. same deal with the parts choice as the STP.
But I regularly do ride both of those for 30mile+ 6000ft+ loops.

Your V-10 with a dropper sounds ideal as a "trail bike" for me.
Tell me MOAR...
Circus Expert 100 on the Cham and Outlaws (and Saint 2006 Cranks + SRS+ guide) Mostly DH parts except SB8 2.3's -- its just a get around bike these days, I occasionally hit some Pump tracks or smoother DH lines (it was my DH hardtail forever...)

I rode the V10 up Ft George hill in Washington Heights, so I would say if you're committed then this thing is a trailbike.

I ride too little, must finally GTFO of NYC and also can the excuses......

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
About 2 years ago I stuck a spare dropper in my tr500 I had just built mid winter (180mm fork and rear travel mode). It only lasted a few weeks because climbing it sucked, but it allowed me to self shuttle and get my suspension and setup dialed in before lift season started.

It was horrible to climb but it was better than a fixed chopped post. Will not try that again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
that's how we roll in AZ - pedal that pivot DH bike all over SoMo. /s
Plus, I have this pic from years ago at SoMo.

Don't be a bitch, pedal your bike.

46lb Highline.
DSCF1512 (1).jpg

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Given he's a proud Scott, I bet he doesn't know the mean of "warm weather". Most of his riding must happen way below 40F.
I'm probably the least patriotic Scot you're ever likely to meet. Where I was born and where I've lived most of my life (not just Scotland) dictates I don't understand Fahrenheit but i'm sure that number is hilarious.

Water freezes at 0 it boils at 100. Celsius is pretty easy.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This is probably my biggest gripe with your modern day trail rider or Endurbro. An 80mm or short dropper posts would be one of the more thoughtful things to come out of the industry. That and the immediate destruction of all 150mm+ posts that exist. Heck I think there are a handful of posts in the 75mm range to which I say bravo. I've never understood why any half fast rider would want any of these tall dropper post. You need that seat to drop enough to get out of the way but still be high enough to be in contact with your thighs for control. I would have thought that people would realize this by observing the saddle position that your fast downhill riders are using.

I guess trail riders don't like additional bike control and conserving energy that comes from a properly positioned seat. Or maybe it is the strong influence of bigger is better and the how to mountain bike for dentist technique that has always been prevalent in the sport.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm probably the least patriotic Scot you're ever likely to meet. Where I was born and where I've lived most of my life (not just Scotland) dictates I don't understand Fahrenheit but i'm sure that number is hilarious.

Thanks for teaching me the right way to spell it, I honestly wasn't sure about that extra "t" I threw up there. Honest mistake.

I too enjoy the benefits of the metric system, but I took the time to convert those four degrees to something more meaninful for our fellows american monkeys here.

Unfortunately, you have just confirmed I have no future in stand up comedy :rimshot:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Celsius: water freezes at 100, boils at 0. Degrees centigrade: water freezes at 0, boils at 100.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
ha ha.. I take it back... seems it's pretty hard for some.

I recommend you never dip your balls in iced water in Europe.

Centigrade is just the old fashioned name for Celsius they're the same thing.