Quantcast

Droppers on a DH bike?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
kind of like how all the "plus" size tire nonsense seems to have steered clear of the DH realm.

(pro-tip: not really. we had 3" tires over a decade ago, realized they sucked, and left them to the dustbin of history).
Plus sized = 2.8" Maxxis = 2.6"-2.75" any other brand = upper limit of what downhillers and freeriders have been using for 15+ years = Not plus sized

Plus sized = Not plus sized = Einhorn is Finkle = Finkle is Einhorn

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
... you ride clipped in, never ride a hardtail and never ride steep jumps or properly steep descents.
These are the situations where I want a 200mm dropper. oh and manualling (I fucking hate getting my crotch tagged by a saddle when I manual)

I'm clearly soooooo Enduro...

Now just lie back while I fill your cavity

;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
ha ha.. I take it back... seems it's pretty hard for some.

I recommend you never dip your balls in iced water in Europe.

Centigrade is just the old fashioned name for Celsius they're the same thing.
I am born and raised in Europe (in a country still in the EU). Btw Degrees centigrade is what my mates in London *always* used. Originally Celsius was inverted and only later the two scales became synonyms.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah... we're not great with *change* in the UK

Our measurement system is all over the place... folk here still use miles, yards, furlongs, inches stone, pounds and ounces etc. when we went metric in the 60/70s(ish*)

*still a long way to go

Sorry I hadn't ever heard of the inverse celsius scale before... Every day's a School day, eh? I'll be careful with my own ball cooling regime when I next cross the channel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This is probably my biggest gripe with your modern day trail rider or Endurbro. An 80mm or short dropper posts would be one of the more thoughtful things to come out of the industry. That and the immediate destruction of all 150mm+ posts that exist. Heck I think there are a handful of posts in the 75mm range to which I say bravo. I've never understood why any half fast rider would want any of these tall dropper post. You need that seat to drop enough to get out of the way but still be high enough to be in contact with your thighs for control. I would have thought that people would realize this by observing the saddle position that your fast downhill riders are using.

I guess trail riders don't like additional bike control and conserving energy that comes from a properly positioned seat. Or maybe it is the strong influence of bigger is better and the how to mountain bike for dentist technique that has always been prevalent in the sport.
I was just having this discussion this morning. I HATE the slammed down position on my 150mm post. 100-125mm is about the max that I ever make use of. I sit down on my DH bike on flat straights to pedal every so often. I can't sit and pedal with any power with the seat slammed on my trail bike.

The only thing different about the 160mm bike vs DH race bike thing, is the reach. It's usually a bit longer on the trail bike, so your positioning over the seat is different. Not catching it with the same spot on your knees/thighs.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I dig my 150mm dropper. I like to ride technical stuff up'n'down with the saddle down, standing in the pedals.

Saddles are for the weak. :dirol:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
This is probably my biggest gripe with your modern day trail rider or Endurbro. An 80mm or short dropper posts would be one of the more thoughtful things to come out of the industry. That and the immediate destruction of all 150mm+ posts that exist. Heck I think there are a handful of posts in the 75mm range to which I say bravo. I've never understood why any half fast rider would want any of these tall dropper post. You need that seat to drop enough to get out of the way but still be high enough to be in contact with your thighs for control. I would have thought that people would realize this by observing the saddle position that your fast downhill riders are using.

I guess trail riders don't like additional bike control and conserving energy that comes from a properly positioned seat. Or maybe it is the strong influence of bigger is better and the how to mountain bike for dentist technique that has always been prevalent in the sport.
I agree that the half-mast position is often better, in my limited experience with droppers thus far. This is also why I ran my DH bike's seat partway up.

I know where that photo is from. Go me.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

Infinite adjustability, put it where you want it; at 6'7" I appreciate the extra range, and when you're jumping and smashing rowdy lines on a 5" bike it's nice to have a DJ height seat option AND full extension too.

And Im a pretty good trail rider that mostly DH's! Bring the 200mm posts. (Pardon, 7.9")

Dont be so absolute.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
There is also the fact that a dh bike has the geometry to support a higher saddle. It just wont feel as sketchy on steep descents as a steep xc bike, so you can feel much more confident with the saddle higher.

I dun my saddle fairly high on my V10 but it is more or less slammed on my ht and the same Devo saddle feels so crappy on the ht (as in to wide for me to easily get behind).

Can it be due to bad form on my part, perhaps but one persons reality is right for them, some want longer droppers some dont.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Screw that, I've got a 125mm dropper and wish I'd bought a 150mm. Mainly because the 125mm post maximum extension is barely high enough for me (150mm posts have longer max extension), but also because there's a massive difference in the height I want the post for climbing or long flat sections vs jumping, drops, chutes or even just sitting on the bike when stationary.

Given any decent post is infinitely adjustable within its range, why wouldn't you want the option of more travel? Just drop to the height you want it?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Screw that, I've got a 125mm dropper and wish I'd bought a 150mm
This.
My bike came with a 125 drop yet I have over 1" of seatpost lower above the clamp. If you're going to have a dropper with an infinite adjust point, make it as adjustable as space allows. I'd swap for a 150, but don't want/need it so badly to open the wallet again.