Quantcast

Dropping in for the first time. Help me!

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
So, I'm heading down to Vans tonight. Finally going to get the nerve up to drop into the half pipe. 12-13 foot high and about 8 foot of vert probably. It's pretty intimidating looking over the edge. Any tips on how to do it without killing myself? My plan of attack is to start at a double peg position and kind of turn and lean. Seems simple right? Well, this will be the first time I've attempted in my year and a half of going there. Yickes!!! Then it's onto the next step of actually flying out of the damn thing!

If I end up wimping out, I'll just go back to the street course and work on my alley oops some more. :)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by steve
So, I'm heading down to Vans tonight. Finally going to get the nerve up to drop into the half pipe. 12-13 foot high and about 8 foot of vert probably. It's pretty intimidating looking over the edge. Any tips on how to do it without killing myself? My plan of attack is to start at a double peg position and kind of turn and lean. Seems simple right? Well, this will be the first time I've attempted in my year and a half of going there. Yickes!!! Then it's onto the next step of actually flying out of the damn thing!

If I end up wimping out, I'll just go back to the street course and work on my alley oops some more. :)

Just don't face plant it!!!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

why not start on the mini and then work your way up to vert.....D

G

gravity

BMXwo man, the mini is harder cos u get less time and space to manouevre (sp?) if you're off balance. at least thats what i found.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by gravity
BMXwo man, the mini is harder cos u get less time and space to manouevre (sp?) if you're off balance. at least thats what i found.
exactly my point...learn how to ride mini well then move up to vert. The consequences for a mistake on vert are much greater than on mini.....D

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
I already know how to ride a mini. My question was how to drop into the vert for the first time. They are the same but different, you know. But it's all good now. I dropped in and only took a few tries to get it. It's soooo much fun, I can't get enough now. Hehehe..

Later.

Z

Zonic Man

Is there a roll-in there to get used to the transition at first?

I know dropping in on my first vert ramp when I was skating was intimidating...I had to just say fvck it. Oh, and lean forward...more than you think, at least on a skateboard. 3rd time was a charm, for me and the skateboard!

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
Originally posted by Zonic Man
Is there a roll-in there to get used to the transition at first?
No roll in. Here's a link to a pic. Sometimes you just have to say "Fvck it" and go. That's what I did. Actually I say that a lot. Especially on new dirt jump spots. Being an old man these days, my inner voice tries to talk me out of it all the time. Stupid common sense. ;-)

http://www.sk8parklist.com/img/ca_milp_vans_vert.jpg

Z

Zonic Man

No roll in. Here's a link to a pic. Sometimes you just have to say "Fvck it" and go. That's what I did. Actually I say that a lot. Especially on new dirt jump spots. Being an old man these days, my inner voice tries to talk me out of it all the time. Stupid common sense. ;-)

http://www.sk8parklist.com/img/ca_milp_vans_vert.jpg
God knows I wouldn't do half the stuff you do on a bike. I know you say it a lot. A ton, actually.

The only thing i know about vert ramps from my skating days is that you have to commit. That's it.