Quantcast

Drug legalization

Your stance on drug legalization?

• I smoke pot and want it legalized (just pot, not other drugs)

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I don't smoke but want it legalized (just pot, not other drugs)

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • I don't do any drugs and want them all to stay illegal

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I do hard drugs (coke, X, heroin, meth)and want them legalized

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don't do any drugs but want them all legalized

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • I smoke pot only, but want all drugs legalized

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
For those of you who would like to see medical marijuana use legalized I've attached some text.
This was taken off of their website, mpp.org. In addition, you can sign up for the e-newsletter which keeps you up to date on this issue.

July 9,2002

Dear Friend,

Yesterday, amidst a mob of reporters, microphones, and TV cameras, the Marijuana Policy Project delivered 39,000 petition signatures to the D.C. government, virtually ensuring the placement of our medical marijuana initiative on the November 5 ballot in our nation's capital.

Please see http://www.mpp.org/dcinitiative/news.html for a catalogue of the print media coverage so far. In addition, four out of five local TV networks and three talk radio stations covered our news conference.

And there is sniping already between MPP and Congressman Bob Barr (R-Georgia), who has sponsored all of the bad medical marijuana amendments on the federal spending bill for D.C. since 1998. I was quoted in The Washington Times today as saying that we submitted far more signatures than were required because "We did not want some bad guys in Congress to challenge us on this." Bob Barr responded by saying, "The D.C. initiative is another attempt by the drug- legalization movement to move its agenda forward, to legalize marijuana under the pretext of 'medicinal' use."

After MPP successfully sued the federal government in March and defended itself against a lawsuit by a squad of mean-spirited local activists last month, we finally began our signature drive on June 13 to collect 17,500 valid signatures from D.C. registered voters. In only 25 days, we collected 39,000 total signatures, which will translate into roughly 20,000 valid signatures -- far more than are needed to qualify the medical marijuana measure for the ballot. The success of this drive would not have been possible if not for the 18-hour-a-day work of MPP's Kat DeBurgh, who coordinated the signature drive from the MPP office.

This signature drive cost approximately $60,000 -- $50,000 for 39,000 total signatures, plus another $10,000 for hotel and travel costs for professional petitioners. Of this $60,000, approximately $40,000 is coming from the Campaign for New Drug Policies, which is supporting various ballot drives across the country. In addition, MPP received a $4,000 check from an individual philanthropist and another $3,000 from the rest of MPP's nationwide membership.

Hence, the D.C. signature drive is about $13,000 in debt, and we need to raise an additional $5,000 to print 10,000 signs to hang up around D.C. later this month. (The signs will say, "This is OUR District, not Bob Barr's! Vote for medical marijuana AGAIN.") If you are interested in donating some of the $18,000 that we need to finish this campaign in D.C., please visit http://www.mpp.org/dcinitiative/contribute.html at your earliest convenience.

The D.C. government is expected to certify in early August that our initiative will appear on the November 5 ballot, and a super-majority of D.C. voters will surely pass the measure at that time. (A similar ballot measure passed in D.C. in 1998 with 69% of the vote, but that initiative was subsequently blocked by Congress from taking effect.)

MPP is already lobbying Congress not to block or overturn this year's initiative. We have had meetings with 80 congressional offices on Capitol Hill since April, and we are arranging meetings between constituents and 120 key U.S. House members in their local offices between now and Labor Day. If you are interested in meeting with your U.S. House member on this issue in his or her local district office, please respond to this message.

The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote in September on whether it will (1) allow D.C. voters to pass a medical marijuana law on November 5, or (2) overturn the will of D.C. voters even before we have a chance to vote on the initiative this November. To fax a pre- written letter to your U.S. House member on this issue, please see http://www.mpp.org/DCI/action.html.

Now that the intensive, 39,000-signature drive in D.C. is over, the fight in Congress is beginning. Please donate money now, please contact us about meeting with your U.S. House member personally, or please use our Web site to fax a pre-written letter. By taking action now, we can increase our chances of victory when Congress votes on the medical marijuana rider to the D.C. spending bill this September.

Sincerely,

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project

P.S. For more information on the D.C. medical marijuana initiative and/or to make a donation, please see http://www.mpp.org/dcinitiative/contribute.html.

This initiative has been largely staffed
and funded by the Marijuana Policy Project.

ClumpRider

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Riding bikes or girls
Here's the most direct and basic opinon you'll get:

a couple of people that smokes in their basement, without telling anyone, never hurted ( not that I'm part of them). But if everyone is always on drugs, when you can't speak to someone that has all his head, well... I'm moving to another country if it's being legalized, that's as simple as that.

A

a13x

since my roommate (not seth) starting smoking pot alot he now just sits in his room, smokes 4 times a day, and doesn't talk to us anymore. he also is WAY more lazy than before.

legalize pot. then i don't have to listen to ppl say 'ever tried <insert anything here> on weeeeeeeeeeeeeed maaaaaaaan!'

ClumpRider

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Riding bikes or girls
Originally posted by a13x
since my roommate (not seth) starting smoking pot alot he now just sits in his room, smokes 4 times a day, and doesn't talk to us anymore. he also is WAY more lazy than before.

legalize pot. then i don't have to listen to ppl say 'ever tried <insert anything here> on weeeeeeeeeeeeeed maaaaaaaan!'
Yup. This stuff is gonna destroy way more social lifes than computers or internet :( :devil: :( :(

Probably the lamest line ever invented...

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
you show me a violent pot smoker and ill show you someone that got more then they barganed for. is it even possible to be enaged when your stoned. i never experenced that emotion, damnit i feel ripped off.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
the de jure goal of keeping drugs illegal is to protect citizens, right?

If so, then whether or not something is legal should be a function of the cost/benefit ratio. If you take cigarettes and alcohol, both have considerably worse consequences than marijuana (and I'm gonna throw mushrooms in there too because I see them as relatively harmless and extremely eye opening). As examples, I think I heard the number that 10,000 deaths are attributed to booze annually, and I know the # for cigarettes is at least that high. There are few, if any, deaths attributed to mushrooms or weed, and neither have the properties of making people violent, and neither have significant chemically addictve properties.

From an economic point of view, the government could make huge amunts of money regulating these substances instead of wasting money on a fruitless drug war.

It also would be easier to keep these things out of the hands of kids because the black market would shrink... I'm 20, and it's easier for people my age to get weed than booze.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
There are few, if any, deaths attributed to mushrooms
Just be sure what you are eating.....eat the wrong thing & :dead:

(and I'm gonna throw mushrooms in there too because I see them as relatively harmless and extremely eye opening).
eye opening....yes indeed....is that a gnome over there? no it is a lerperchaun.....no wait it is a gremlin!!!!!
Why am I melting into the couch???:confused:
ewwww.....purty colors!
-TNF

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
From an economic point of view, the government could make huge amunts of money regulating these substances instead of wasting money on a fruitless drug war.
We all say legalize it & tax it. It's a good idea. But, who's going to be able to regulate something that you can grow in your garden? Maybe if we can figure that out, we'd be one step closer to having it legalized.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Lucee

We all say legalize it & tax it. It's a good idea. But, who's going to be able to regulate something that you can grow in your garden? Maybe if we can figure that out, we'd be one step closer to having it legalized.
a Smoker could grow tobacco too, but they don't.
You can brew your own beer too... Most people don't.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm growing a strange purple fungus on a plate of month old food underneath my bed. Is that illegal?
Anyone wanting samples send address will ship in another month(waiting for spores to spread to another week old plate next to it).

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by -BB-

a Smoker could grow tobacco too, but they don't.
You can brew your own beer too... Most people don't.
Don't know how easy tobacco is to grow but pot, it grows... well...like a weed. It's very easy to grow, at least in CA, and much less time consuming than brewing beer.

I agree it should be legalized and taxed...though there still will be a lot of black market activity/homegrown stuff. Imagine going to a farmers market to buy an ounce of organic pot!:D

As for shrooms, personally I think they are much more dangerous than pot and have more concerns with legalizing them although they are a natural product. A friend of mine ate a bit too much one night and was hallucinating for 6 months. She still has "flashbacks" and while she doesn't regret the experience, you'd never have that sort of reaction from pot.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Six month high???? Holy Cow! How many did she eat the whole damn field??? I mean i used to splash in the water myself but it sounds like she was deep sea diving!:D
Yes all things in moderation or not at all, but again i think its up to an individual adult to decide.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by Skookum
Six month high???? Holy Cow! How many did she eat the whole damn field??? I mean i used to splash in the water myself but it sounds like she was deep sea diving!:D
Yes all things in moderation or not at all, but again i think its up to an individual adult to decide.
OK...she had way too much, in my opinion-- a good serving of mushroom honey. Until that happened, I never thought it was a really dangerous drug--- that invincible feeling. Now I stick with the legal stuff but I agree that an individual should be able to make the decision whether or not to indulge.