Quantcast

Dry Trail + Freakishly Low Humidity = A Photo!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Damn, it was unseasonably cool here last night so I met up with a friend and we rode!!! The trails here are in excellent shape!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
moff_quigley said:
People still use bar ends?

This guy is just getting back into MTBing after about 8 years off... he can't afford all the new goodies but at least he's riding his old bike and loving it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Is that a Manitou Mach 5? I posted about the castings being crap and being prone to breaking.... I'd hate for a returning rider to get blown up.

As for bar ends, it seems that lots of pro cross country riders have returned to using them.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Is that a Manitou Mach 5? I posted about the castings being crap and being prone to breaking.... I'd hate for a returning rider to get blown up.

As for bar ends, it seems that lots of pro cross country riders have returned to using them.

Thx, I'll give him a head's up on that DRB.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
DRB said:

:confused:

I watched the pro xc at mount snow, I didnt see anyone w/bar ends

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I could see barends for touring rides, or huge epics, you know if hand position was starting to kill you, but otherwise, just lift some weights if you arent strong enough to torque the bars back and forth coming up a steep.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
hey spanky, did you do that race the other weekend?

Weekend before last was rained out, but I did race last weekend at Burns Park in Little Rock. Damn that was a great trail with some tough technical climbs.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
douglas said:
:confused:

I watched the pro xc at mount snow, I didnt see anyone w/bar ends
I know Mary had hers on when she won and I think Sauser was running his too. Many of the pros do have them but I lost my pictures so I can't go back and look to confirm.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
BurlyShirley said:
I could see barends for touring rides, or huge epics, you know if hand position was starting to kill you, but otherwise, just lift some weights if you arent strong enough to torque the bars back and forth coming up a steep.
In XC racing it's all about conservation of energy and for some people, bar ends help - especially with out of the saddle climbing. Kinda like climbing on the lever hoods of a road bike. Personally, I never felt comfortable using them, but did notice some improved climbing back in the day (last used bar ends about 13 years ago...). Since I ride road a lot more now, I should probably try them again.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i had a manitou mach 5 sx which tried to take out my eye when the top cap flew off with great force during a ride... :dead:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Toshi said:
i had a manitou mach 5 sx which tried to take out my eye when the top cap flew off with great force during a ride... :dead:
I used to camp a lot with shop-rats and we were burn old Mach 5 lowers in the campfire. Can't let all that magnesium go to waste! :thumb:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Chunky Munkey said:
Only ''SWEET OLD'' guys do.:rofl:

OOOOoooo!:D
Absolutely frickin' incredible! Much approval. Thou art a PS god!

edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Chunky Munkey again. Dangit!