Quantcast

Dry weather... dirt jump care?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Okay so Charlotte, NC has been really really really hot lately. And we've gotten maybe a 1/16" of meaningful rain in the past three weeks. So my question is, how can I sheild my dirtjumps from the heat? I'll go out and water them, but with in a 15 minutes the water is dryed up. so the first inch of my jumps is just dust. So please help me, i see the death of my dirtjumps in the near, dry future. :nopity:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Easy answer. Wood Glue. Mix it with water in a pump sprayer. Wet your jumps down first with regular water, and shape them money.
Then coat all of your jumps with the water/wood glue mixture. This will lock in the water for many days, and keep your jumps smooth.
I do it all the time.
We get zero rain for about 5 months where i live.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Wood glue? Really? And yeah tryed a tarp, the thing is only have like three tarps, I don't feel like going and buying 11 more. It works a little though.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I'd like to try the wood glue out. Also, go to a carpet company and see if they'll give you some scrap. After riding, soak the jumps and lay the carpet over them. I think this works better than tarps sometimes. The jumps will stay damp longer and helps hold the shape of the lip..

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Heh, no rain in 3 weeks? Try no rain in months and months here. We just water water water water and build in the shade, but I want to try the wood glue.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to try the wood glue out. Also, go to a carpet company and see if they'll give you some scrap. After riding, soak the jumps and lay the carpet over them. I think this works better than tarps sometimes. The jumps will stay damp longer and helps hold the shape of the lip..
I have carpet over the landings, but its still really dry. he carpet pieces are like 100 degrees. I'm gonna give wood glue a try.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Easy answer. Wood Glue. *snip* We get zero rain for about 5 months where i live.
Care to elaborate? How much wood glue because my thinking is that after it dries, and maybe one of those rains comes through the area, wouldnt the glue all run off the lip and puddle at the base of the jump and be sticky and slippery? Does the glue just act as a seal for the dirt?:imstupid:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
dont spend money on glue use fabric starch. its going to sound stupid but i used to be into sand castle sculpting; to make wet sand keep a form we used wood glue at times but usually fabric starch.