Quantcast

drydock pics of the fast attack sub USN San Francisco post seamount impact

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
stoney98 said:
really, we don't need fast attack subs anymore?
Do you not realize that the invisible threat is 100x more powerful then the visible?
I mean, cus we have have so many real plausable enemys with them, right? Before i say any more this should be moved to the political forum. :thumb:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
stoney98 said:
really, we don't need fast attack subs anymore?
Do you not realize that the invisible threat is 100x more powerful then the visible?
I want those subs out there.

If they see a 6'4 man with a beard and a dialysis machine out for a swim, I want to know that we can torpedo him.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I think that a missle defense program is more needed than those anti "sneaky ****ing russians"* programs.

* from "Snatch"

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Pau11y said:
I wonder what happened to the commander of that thing? Isn't he ultimately responsible for that toy?
apparenty the seamount that they hit at 35 mph was not on the charts. The Commander was relieved of duty pending the results of the investigation. IE: did or did not sonar pic it up, were appropriate actions taken etc.

I feel for the family of the one sailor that died and the other 20 that were injured

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I'm amazed that it didn't sink with that.

My brother's a Nuke on the USS-Louisville.

He said the impact sustained by that sub, would be like a head-on collision in a car at 45 MPH.

YOUCH.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
N8 said:
Later at the local Submarine Shoppe:

Really, we were just riding along when....

:p
lol

Support your LSS!

no more of this mail order crap. once they're all gone, where will you take your submarine to get a tune up. :blah:

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
I was on a ship when we ran aground off the coast of Alexandria, Egypt.

The Captain was relieved of his duties, as well as the Executive Office (2nd on command).

I have the pix on my home computer of the ship in dry dock in Haifa, Israel, had to be towed over 350 miles.

Fun
Time
Navy

-former FC2(SW/SAR) Dan

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mack said:
I think that a missle defense program is more needed than those anti "sneaky ****ing russians"* programs.

* from "Snatch"
Ya, except msisile defense is useless. No rogue nation will have ICBMs that can reach they us. They will simply bring in a nuke on a ship, or in a car. A missile shiedl is 100% non-effective. I was at a good talk with Kenneth Waltz about this, yes the father of modern realism. Even he agrees, it is a farce.

Not to mention the current one DOESN'T EVEN WORK. It has failed about every single test so far - great investment guys!

Also, Putin isn't a nice guy, he favors a return to the eastern block style ussr. He has ballistic missile subs, don't kid yourself. If they felt threatened, the weapons are still there. Also, any nation with a recon sub will have on in the general area, which means you need fast attack subs to counter them.

/end rant

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
They should post in the Dh forum if they don't get full warranty coverage.

Fast attack subs are still quite relevant. Plus, the food served on them is pretty damned good.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Arm On Fire said:
I was on a ship when we ran aground off the coast of Alexandria, Egypt.

The Captain was relieved of his duties, as well as the Executive Office (2nd on command).

I have the pix on my home computer of the ship in dry dock in Haifa, Israel, had to be towed over 350 miles.

Fun
Time
Navy

-former FC2(SW/SAR) Dan
Do they get you all out of the sub before they tow it? Did anyone get hurt?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
N8 said:
:p!!!

Free
The
Non-rates

-former CE2 (SCW) N8

:evil:
You weren't in the Navy...you were in a BAND, remember? The 'village people' or something? The drugs must have fried your brain. We understand, though...it was the 70s...

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
DHanamal said:
Collisions have frequently happened with nuclear subs, here's a list of a few known ones:
http://andysvault.narod.ru/navy_subcoll.htm
Those are only the 'major' ones it looks like.

We mortally wounded a brand new tugboat in the Panama Canal on my sub. The pilot raced to the shore and beached it as fast as he could. It didn't actually sink.
Before I arrived onboard, they had sunk a fishing trawler too by snaring it's nets while they were submerged and pulling it down behind them.

We just barely missed hitting a stopped merchant vesel that had engine problems and was dead in the water, and thus making almost no noise at all for us to detect. We were headed to periscope depth in the middle of the night. Scary crap, that was.

The USS Gerogia sank a tugboat, when it(the tug) lost power only about 200 yards off the pier and 7 crew of the tug were lost.

The Captain and a few other people are going to get in trouble for this. Uncharted or not, there are things you do underwater to avoid this kind of situation.

ET2(SS)