Quantcast

Drying Muddy Gear

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Not trying to spam, but I came across this the other day and thought some of these products could be super helpful - especially for those of us on the east coast!

Nothing worse than putting on a soaking wet pair of shoes on race day, or spending the night after practice trying to dry your crap out when you just want to go get hammered in the hot tub.

http://www.dryguy.net/PRD_drying.htm

This one here is only 25 bucks and can plug into your car

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I room mate does water damage restoration/dry outs and we have this squirl cage fan...it blows. Soaking wet five tens dry over night. The fan is made by a company called Phoenix. He told me they are about 250-300 dollars, which I know is a lot, but seeing how much some people spend on biking stuff it mights be worth it if you ride in slop day in and day out.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
old boyscout trick,

crumple up newspaper and stuff them in the shoes untill full. Repeat every 3 or so hours,

Dry kicks in the morning.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
That's pretty sweet. Not sure I'm really sold on it though.

For weekends I know its going to be wet I always put 2 things in my bag: a newspaper and garbage bag. Stuff your shoes with newspaper right after hosing them off, then stuff them with fresh paper again before bed. By morning they're damn near dry and it's pretty much cost-free if you save random mail offers instead of trashing them. The garbage bag just keeps your wet clothes away from your dry gear, and laundry time is that much easier.

Edit: looks like wisco beat me to the punch when I was typing.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
At windham I saw some guy who used a painters suit to keep the mud off. It seemed to work ok for them... they said it wasn't too hot either since it was made out of some sort of shop paper towel material. Give it's ease of availiability at a local hardware store, I thought it was a good way to overcome the mud.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Bringing two pairs of shoes to races. Cleaning and drying Sat night is the worst. Also buying a second liner for what ever helmet I get. Saw that tip on a mx site. With less gear cleaning and drying, I can focus on the bike.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
At windham I saw some guy who used a painters suit to keep the mud off. It seemed to work ok for them... they said it wasn't too hot either since it was made out of some sort of shop paper towel material. Give it's ease of availiability at a local hardware store, I thought it was a good way to overcome the mud.
i have a pair of "waterproof-ish" nike nylon pants and a sweet Giant Bicycles jacket that keeps me warm and dry. as for shoes i bring 2 pairs. pants 2 pairs, sometimes ill wear 1 pair saturday, and than wear the same pair sunday during practice and than a whole fresh dry set of gear for race run, including dry boxers!

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
yeah having an extra set of 5.10s has been a blessing.

but tips for drying shoes, take out the insoles, squeeze out thoroughly, do the newspaper trick for a little bit, but then remove the paper.

and this is to good part, thanks Memmelgnar: use the exhaust fan at the bottom of a refrigerator to blow warm dry air in there overnight. works for me!

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah my buddy did that. Great idea untill he had a turtle shell moment sliding down the hill. Ripped right off. Key is not to crash. But that is the idea anyway.:rolleyes:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
yeah having an extra set of 5.10s has been a blessing.

but tips for drying shoes, take out the insoles, squeeze out thoroughly, do the newspaper trick for a little bit, but then remove the paper.

and this is to good part, thanks Memmelgnar: use the exhaust fan at the bottom of a refrigerator to blow warm dry air in there overnight. works for me!
the frig trick has never let me down