Quantcast

drying out weds gfmt

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Re: sleeping in crazy heat — My cousin lives in Barcelona in a 3 story townhousey kinda place, but, sans air conditioning for some reason that I am not clear on as they also have an amazing pool and it is generally a nice place.

46C92481-2C02-42B8-B17A-D974F1253645.jpeg

Anyway, like a lot of Southern Europe they have, and throughout summer use their big ass slatted wooden window shutters in the day.

When it is hot they close these after a short morning full air-out of the house, actual glass windows still left open all day of course. With a little understanding of your site and weather you can also draw slightly cooler air through your house with mostly open and a few closed window thermodynamics too.

Barca is particularly hot though, easy up to your 100°fdms at peak summer and they sleep only under sheets when it’s hot.

When it is ridiculous hot, in the morning they soak and then ring out their ‘blanket-sheets’, leaving them a bit wet, and then neatly fold and freeze them, like properly in a freezer.
They then chuck the frozen sheets on beds an hour/half an hour or so before bed, they melt a bit, still nice and cool, even cold when you first get in, refreshing, and the ‘meltwater’ such as it is dampens the whole bed a little so there is a little ongoing evaporative cooling for a while, so you get a cooler bed at least for the first really hot part of the night.

I have direct experience of this and it all works fairly well, and, it doesn’t dry you out like strong air-con as a bonus.

When I was a student in southern France they did a lesser version this, misting (fairly heavily) beds down with a bit of boiled water with a tiny bit of lavender oil in it in the late afternoon, just to take the heat out and make the room smell good too.

Obviously neither of these techniques are as convenient or ‘aggressive’ as AC though but they are a lot cheaper and also maybe great if your grid is dinopowered, or could used as a turbocooling supplement I guess.

Anyway I feel like the whole world could benefit from looking at what we all each do (or used to do?) in different places round the world to fight excessive heat, or cold, or rain, whatever, efficiently and with less extra carbon.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I must be feeling the effects of that covid shot. Fell asleep last night pretty quickly, but woke up not long after shivering; uncontrollable chattering teeth and goosebumps. And now this morning I feel foggy and have a headache, it feels like I'm hung over.

Oh well...hopefully this goes away so that I can ride with the friends tonight. I haven't ridden with them on a Wednesday in like a month. :(

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
YO. I swam 2000 yards this morning in the air conditioned, temperature controlled indoor pool at the private high school in town.

My six cylinder Subaru station wagon with 21000 miles on it is at the dealership right now having the transmission checked. It is slipping and kicking when going from reverse to drive. I back up and come to a full stop, shift into drive, and the car bucks and squeaks. Seems to me that is not normal. This is my fifth Outback. When I got my second one, it needed a new transmission at 8,000 miles. heh.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looks like re-landscaping a part of our yard needed thanks to a fucking neighbor building an ugly extension as close to the property line as permitted with an "observation deck" 30ft above ground will eat a very large chunk of cash. FML. Just got an estimate in tens of thousands. :(

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am truly enjoying being in cool Denmark vs hot and humid NYC but borrow time as this place seems a lot hotter than before I left or maybe it's just due to the topless girls on the beach by my house ;)

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Here.

20 years married today, suppose I should pick up a card.

Overcast, but still hot here. Might rain, rode the harley anyway... We will see warmer the rest of the week, next week might be a "Find work to do from my air conditionned home" kinda week....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Gotta head into the office to start my SME training. Better watch out, I'll be an expert laser operator soon. Pew pew!

Gonna meet up with the old man along the way for lunch, cause I can.

I bought the wheels.
Ordered red accent pieces yet? God forbid you mix pink and red, I could hardly stand to be seen with you.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Listed Subaru this morning. Listed high at $11k; already have a blind offer at $10k with a lot of other requests to see it today.