Quantcast

DSL/internet questions...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Okay, I have a problem. I need to get a high speed internet connection in my house. I need it to be under $30 a month. I dont have a home phone (cellular only).

Any Ideas? Cable internet in this area is $40 :rolleyes: and you have to have an SBC home phone ($35) in order to get SBC DSL (+ $19 = way too much).

Am I totally fuhked?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yep, your screwed... high speed for < $30 doesn't exist unless you can get it discounted through your work or something like that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
jacksonpt said:
yep, your screwed... high speed for < $30 doesn't exist unless you can get it discounted through your work or something like that.
Actually SBC is offering it for $19. But the catch is you have to have an SBC phone line already installed :rolleyes:

I just paid my cingular bill and it was $70 fuhking dollars. in 4 months I'll be able to get out of that contract, maybe I will be able to afford it after that :(

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
golgiaparatus said:
Actually SBC is offering it for $19. But the catch is you have to have an SBC phone line already installed
well, yea - there's always a catch. I can get cable internet for $20/mo too, but I have to have the $119/mo cable package in order to qualify for the $20/mo rate

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
jacksonpt said:
well, yea - there's always a catch. I can get cable internet for $20/mo too, but I have to have the $119/mo cable package in order to qualify for the $20/mo rate
I'm looking at cable for about $40. Need a new cell phone thought that cost less than $70 a month though. Fahkers, they said it would be $50 a month when I got that phone (how things change when they have your ass under contract). I figure if I can find a cell phone company that will give me service for around $40-50 then I'll be good to get the cable internet :D

Gotta love being broke. Ahh I remember the days before the car payments, when I could just say, "$40 a month, thats nothin" hehe.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jacksonpt said:
Yeah, that's what I have too. But cable gives you much faster speeds than DSL. And for me at least, SBC is the worst provider ever. Had DSL for two months, it was down for 3 weeks during those 2 months. My cable modem has gon down maybe 4 times in 5 years, and once was when the dang gardener cut the cable with his hedge trimmer.

Either way, go high speed. You won't regret it.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
golgiaparatus said:
I'm looking at cable for about $40. Need a new cell phone thought that cost less than $70 a month though. Fahkers, they said it would be $50 a month when I got that phone (how things change when they have your ass under contract). I figure if I can find a cell phone company that will give me service for around $40-50 then I'll be good to get the cable internet :D

Gotta love being broke. Ahh I remember the days before the car payments, when I could just say, "$40 a month, thats nothin" hehe.
Do you use the cell a lot? During the day? During the week? Most cell plans have the free nights / weekends. My Cingular plan is 450 w/rollover. $39.99 a month plus around $4 in BS taxes and fees. Quite a bit < $70. I don't talk on it much, other than weekends and to some of my other friends who also have Cingular-which doesn't count towards your minutes.

If you talk on the phone a lot, you're probably stuck with a big cell bill.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
have you tried picking up the net wireless from a neighbor? Usually they aren't protected, and there is enough BW that they won't notice. I got a Netgear MA111 wireless whip and a pringles can. All kinds of options. Depends on the neighborhood I guess but worth a shot.