Quantcast

DSL signal getting fubared by new fax machine

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
OK, last week we got a new fax machine. I took our old one off and plugged in the new one. I did not make any other changes.
Now when I am online and our fax machine rings, it disrupts the DSL signal knocking me offline. We have always had filters installed and never had a problem before. We still have the filters on and it is not working. I am guessing that the new fax machine has alot stronger signal than the old one, but does anybody know of any eases fixes for this.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I can't remember what it was that causes this, a quick search shows that certain models of fax machines are just incompatible with DSL, I didn't search deep enough to see if there was a solution. You may just be stuck with having to reboot your modem every time you send or recieve a fax. Do you rely heavily on faxes still, most people really prefer email now.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can't remember what it was that causes this, a quick search shows that certain models of fax machines are just incompatible with DSL, I didn't search deep enough to see if there was a solution. You may just be stuck with having to reboot your modem every time you send or recieve a fax. Do you rely heavily on faxes still, most people really prefer email now.
Yeah, the insurance biz is all about some faxes.:disgust1:
We have to keep it on because certain companies will send us important faxes, but most of the time I have been knocked off
it has been from spam faxes.:banghead:
I am about to bowl the whole damn machine down a flight a stairs with follow through.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Before you destroy any office machines (which is quite entertaining if you are an office space fan) I'd look into some fax to email solutions and compare their cost to the price of the new fax machine, considering what you pay in paper and ink it may be cheaper to return the new fax machine and subscribe to something like www.efax.com

I just sent off a fax for homeowner's insurance this morning, it's a hassle to have to scan then open an email, open the attachment then fax from the computer but it works, at work we use a utility call RightFax, I'm not sure how it works, it's on a server and whenever I recieve a fax I get an email notification with the fax attached.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
When we relocated earlier this year we had one line to share DSL and the fax and ended up with the same problem. The company that installed our phone system tried all sorts of different, inexpensive, filters to no avail. There was some other $300+ filter they thought might work but we ended adding another line to have dedicated DSL and fax lines.

I despise faxes but can't believe the number of bike shops that don't have e-mail addresses to send price lists, updates, etc. We use a Canon copier/fax by the way with Verizon business DSL.