Quantcast

DSLR advice

Jun 18, 2004
I see some deals out there on the DSLR's now...

Anybody use the Olypus Evolt 510 ?? is that one any good?

(Especially for bike and snowboard action pictures?)

I see some good deals online for the Sony Alpha also... I have had good experience w/other sony products so the Alpha is appealing.

Input would be appreciated.

talusslope

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
sst, WA
I like the Olympus and canon's menus and ease of use over the Nikon's, and the build of the Olympus and of Nikon's cheaper models over those of canon. and as a definent plus, Olympuses have all the little luxuries, like "liveview", dust removal, and a new and majorly improved lens mount to serve compadablity to an extortanenary line of lenses. But then the nikon has stock wireless flash capability.

edit: there's also an adapter for the Olympus, so you can use the old OM lenses, to save some money.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Something to keep in mind...cameras come and go, but lenses stick around forever. So what you want to do is look at a camera company who is going in a direction you like and who you can see your self buying a more expensive camera from in the future.

I know that's not what you asked, but its something to keep in mind. I mean, my flash and lenses by themselves are worth more then my camera body.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
i just got a rebel xti, i guess its the low end of cannon but it works great
It's actually not, the XT is...the XTi is just not on the higher end of the spectrum, as far as DSLRs go.

But several pro photographers have told me that they actually preffer their XTi to their 1Ds MK III because of its small size and performance. Although, that obviously depends on the photos you shoot, and features you need/want. And for the record, the photographers who told me this, they were mountain bike ones.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I just picked up the XTI too... great little camera.

There are tons of talks on "what camera is going to be best," but the truth is the photographer is much more important than the camera. A good photographer can take a better picture on a cell phone than a klutz can on a D80. The XTI is great because it's easily upgradable and the auto-focus system is amazing. Low light shots are awesome and there is hardly any noise. The only thing that is lacking is the flash- it seems to be a little short in range.

Just go and try a bunch of cameras in your price point and see which feels most comfortable in your hands. I was originally going to get a d40x but hated the feel of it when I actually played around with it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I just picked up the XTI too... great little camera.

There are tons of talks on "what camera is going to be best," but the truth is the photographer is much more important than the camera. A good photographer can take a better picture on a cell phone than a klutz can on a D80. The XTI is great because it's easily upgradable and the auto-focus system is amazing. Low light shots are awesome and there is hardly any noise. The only thing that is lacking is the flash- it seems to be a little short in range.

Just go and try a bunch of cameras in your price point and see which feels most comfortable in your hands. I was originally going to get a d40x but hated the feel of it when I actually played around with it.
Amen brother!
:busted:

Jun 18, 2004
Now I'm thinking a D40x, D80, xti, or evolt 510...

but your right I must fiddle w/them at Best Buy or Frys and what not...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha, i too may be picking up an xti soon.
Eren...i despise you.

Just do me a favor. Either take good pictures of me (since I took some of you) or become a really good photographer...or else I will hate you and all the super nice things you have.

Note: For the record, I thought I was spoiled until I met you. :twitch:

P.S. In regards to the camera, I kept an open mind when I looked around...but in the end, Canons reputation and my past history with it lead me in that direction. Just go to photographyreview.com and post up for help, try stuff out, and request advice from Photo-John after giving him all your info in what you want. http://www.myspace.com/photojohn

EDIT: Here's my photography stuff, let me know if you ever want to try some of it out before purchasing something or whatever.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Threadjack, but just got back from Cabo and decided to post this panorama shot with the XTI. Not the best quality because it was all handheld and this one fat guy on the beach was walking around, but still cool.

Jun 18, 2004
Threadjack, but just got back from Cabo and decided to post this panorama shot with the XTI. Not the best quality because it was all handheld and this one fat guy on the beach was walking around, but still cool.

Silly question but that's 3 merged pics, right? Or is there a Panorama mode?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Eren...i despise you.

Just do me a favor. Either take good pictures of me (since I took some of you) or become a really good photographer...or else I will hate you and all the super nice things you have.

Note: For the record, I thought I was spoiled until I met you. :twitch:

P.S. In regards to the camera, I kept an open mind when I looked around...but in the end, Canons reputation and my past history with it lead me in that direction. Just go to photographyreview.com and post up for help, try stuff out, and request advice from Photo-John after giving him all your info in what you want. http://www.myspace.com/photojohn

EDIT: Here's my photography stuff, let me know if you ever want to try some of it out before purchasing something or whatever.

haha. im a good businessman. i move to the UK and sell my sunday for more than i bought it for! haha.

but yes, i am sort of spoiled, with everything but my bikes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I see some deals out there on the DSLR's now...

Anybody use the Olypus Evolt 510 ?? is that one any good?

(Especially for bike and snowboard action pictures?)

I see some good deals online for the Sony Alpha also... I have had good experience w/other sony products so the Alpha is appealing.

Input would be appreciated.
I have the evolt 410, same as the 510 but without the image stabilization. It is my first DSLR so I don't have much to compare to but I really like it. I got it because it is the smallest and lightest available. The biggest disadvantage I see to it compared to the Nikons and Cannon's is that used lenses aren't as prevalant but the stock kit lenses are better than you will get with other models.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
so contact this guy on myspace? or through photoreview?
Well if you post on the forum, you'll get a bunch of peoples ideas...who are more "in-tune" with photography. If you contact him through his myspace, you'll get a quick response, and he'll likely add "post on the forum and I'll elaborate", which is understandable.

He's a pretty cool guy and a big photographer/mountain biker. And his website works wonders too.