Quantcast

DSP Dueler opinions

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It has been on the market for quite some time but Ive only seen a handfull of reviews. Anyone on RM has one? How does it perform?

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
its a simple shock that works as advertised - ive only bounced around on one for a little bit, and rode it down one trail but i really liked it, wouldnt give up my cane creek double barrel for it but it rode nice, the adjustments work well - its user servicible i think, and its fairly light as far as coil dampers go... pretty cheap too, if i remember correctly...

bigh

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Omacron Persei 8
I have been running one on my 2010 glory and I love it. Personally it felt a lot better than the rc4 that came with the bike. For the price it's hard to beat. Adjustments work well and it's very durable. I would definitely recommend it if you are in the market for a shock.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.

Had it on the 951 and felt good there. About to try it on the M9. Had to cut out the derlin bushing built in on the shock body. Can't stand the rub-a-dub dubby thing with the spring.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I used one to slacken and lower a VP free and it's been working well. About 8 months on it now. I don't notice much difference between it and the Fox DHX 5.0 it replaced. Adjustments are responsive. I'd buy one again because of the price.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Why do I have an impression, that DSP's Fadi said something about stopping Dueler production??

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
It's still available for purchase? I don't see it on their site. Looks like they've gone MX?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
is it DSP or someone else that's coming out with an i-beam version of a suspension seatpost?
KS (kind shock) has one coming out. They have some pretty cool stuff coming out next year like a 400 gram, 5" of adjustability, two bolt clamp, and the remote line hooks into the bottom like the gravity droppers so there is no cable routing issues.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I ordered a dueler just over a month ago, waiting for the Canadian distributor to ship it out to me...

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I bought a Dueler for my Session a month or so ago. What can I say? It's amazing. My impression is that it is super sensitive and it feels like I'm using my travel much more efficiently, whereas on the DHX4 it felt like it only really entered the last half of the travel on hits I also pretty much bottomed out on. It got all the adjustments you would ever need for DH, so I'm really happy with that I can fine tune the feel in the shock with the adjusters for once. Not like other shocks that don't have all the adjusters and I think that I i.e. need more lsc, but can't adjust it!

After riding one myself for a couple a weeks, I recommended it for a friend. He was kind of tired of his 2011 Supreme and wanted to buy a new bike. He said the bike felt too "skippy" and dead. After changing his RC4 for a DSP he wants at least one more season on his bike. His next bike will also have a Dueler. He also says it's more sensitive and lively than all shocks he has ridden, and on the Dueler he runs almost max compression (he did on his RC4 as well).

Definitely a shock I can recommend. Here's a pic of mine on my bike:

(Ti spring coming in the spring)

And did I mention it's super cheap?

lochsweed

Chimp
Jun 2, 2009
Right I'v been using a dueller on my lapierre dh920 2010 for about six months. First the shock looks and feels like its built to a high standard and has all the adjustments you need to get it set up exactly the way you want it. My only complaint is that there are no clicks on the dials.

When I first put the shock on the sag seemed more than that of a fox rc2 with the same size spring but I read a review that this happens and that it dosn't bottom out but I found this to be untrue as I had to have the max air pressure in the piggy back and the high speed compression turned up fully to stop the shock bottoming out on fast rock tracks, this made the shock feel average.

A few months ago I changed the spring for a heavier one, reduced the pressure in the piggy back and have very little high and low speed compression, my dueller has the adjustable air volume and I have that on about mid way to get a nice progressive feel. The shock now feels amazing, super sensitive without blowing through the travel on the bigger hits and my bike just feels super fast.

So in my opinion the shock works brilliant with the right weight spring and not too much compression wound and the only issue id like to see improved would be some clicks on the dial to aid with set up.

If you're thinking of getting one I hope this helps.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
If you're thinking of getting one I hope this helps.
Thanks.

The Canadian distributor did not get any shocks in my size. Said there were issues with production. Oh well, RockShox has also been out of Vivid coils in the size/tune I need for months now... I'd get a Vivid air but would need to rob a bank 1st.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks.

The Canadian distributor did not get any shocks in my size. Said there were issues with production. Oh well, RockShox has also been out of Vivid coils in the size/tune I need for months now... I'd get a Vivid air but would need to rob a bank 1st.
Have you given thought to the new X-Fusion HLR Air shock?? From what I can see the Canadian distributor (Renegade Cycle Solutions) Has just got a bunch of them in stock and are much cheaper then a Vivid Air and have moar adjustmentz. Retail is right around $500.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Have you given thought to the new X-Fusion HLR Air shock?? From what I can see the Canadian distributor (Renegade Cycle Solutions) Has just got a bunch of them in stock and are much cheaper then a Vivid Air and have moar adjustmentz. Retail is right around $500.
Thanks for the info, might be a great shock for my trailbike.

Also, the Canadian DSP distributor is not refunding my deposit he has had for nearly 45 days now. After 2 emails asking for a refund I filed a dispute with Paypal. Will let you know how it resolves, but for now I'd stay away...

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Thanks for the info, might be a great shock for my trailbike.

Also, the Canadian DSP distributor is not refunding my deposit he has had for nearly 45 days now. After 2 emails asking for a refund I filed a dispute with Paypal. Will let you know how it resolves, but for now I'd stay away...
It was refunded. There was an issue with production and my shock was never shipped to the distributor.