Quantcast

DT swiss 340's

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I am thinking about getting a new rear hub, and due to financial constraints have narrowed it down to the DT swiss 340 rear (the Hope Pro II's is the other hub im considering)

Im leaning towards the 340 as it has the start ratchet system vs pawls of the pro II. Problem is i can find almost no information about the 340's.

Is the ratchet system identical to the 440 and 240 or is it a cheaper version. The hub looks like a non weight reduced 240. Any long term reviews of them, any known issues??

Thanks

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
all the dt rear bubs use the same star drive freehub system. Its why i like them. But after getting a set of hope pro 2s not too long ago i was extreamly impressed with them. Earlier in the year i built up a pair of 440s for my trail bike. While there good theres no huge performance advantage with them. There heavier than the Hope Pro 2s and nearly twice the price. So i would imagine the 340s are heavier again but closer to the price of a pro 2. If you want better engagement than the 3 pawls of a normal pro 2 you could buy the 5 pawl freehub body from a pro2 trials hub and use that.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
A 135mm T/A DT Swiss 340 rear hub weighs 310g.

A 135mm Hope Pro II with a tru-axle weighs in at around 300g.

So the weight difference is really negligible (10g +or- 5g )

The only difference between the DT 340 and 440 are: 1) the 440's have stainless steel ball bearings, 2)the 340 has a hub body that is machined differently than the 440. Both the 340 and 440 use 2 star ratchets, each with 18 teeth, special hard coating, and 4 bearings. The 340 is designed more for FR and the 440 is more for DH.

The Hope Pro II Rear hub features a one piece 7075 aluminium rotor body and pawl carrier. 4 pawls engage into a 24 tooth steel ratchet which is fixed into the hub shell and is sealed with a frictionless, non contact labyrinth seal. The axle runs on four cartridge bearings. The hub shell is machined from a solid billet of 2014 T6 aluminium.

Weight: 295g
Bearing type: Cartridge
Hub Body: 2014 T6 aluminium
Cassette body: Aluminium
Ratchet type: 4 pawl (24 engagement)

If it were me - I'd go with whichever fits your price range - thing is both hubs are relatively new, so reliability and durability are unknown for the long term.

ALSO - remember there is a BIG difference between the design of a rear hub intended for DH and FR. Even though DT lists the 440's as the 440 FR(free ride) it's a very burly hub intended for DH:

DT 340:

DT 440:

Hope Pro II 135mm SS: (only pic I could find of a 135mm Pro II w/ a T/A

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Hi all,

Found out the 340 is basically the old silver hayes/hugi hubs from 8 years ago with updated internals, same as the 440 and 240, so not really a new hub as such.

The 340 and Hope pro II are within a few $$ of each other, i wouldn't mind the 440 but its not worth the extra $$ i suspect, the 440 and 340 weigh the same, use the same internals in the free hub, and by the look of them both the 340 and 440 is well supported on the disc flange side.

Im leaning towards the 340 at this stage, i think i prefer the slower more solid engagement of the dt swiss system vs the hope pawl system.

Pity there is not much info on them.

J

J5ive

What more info do you need? The dt system is so simple its not funny.
The old hayes hubs were great, and I know of a few STILL kicking to this day. I can't really see how you can go wrong with either product, but the 340 will take less work to keep running nice than the hope from my experience on bulbs/xc's.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
After looking at the CAD schematic and parts sheet that came with my Hadley 108pt. (this piece of paper comes with all Hadleys) the listed weight for my 150 x 12mm is 392g w/o the thru-axle.