Quantcast

DT Swiss, 36 step star ratchet upgrade.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Anyone tried it?

Is it as reliable and indestructible as the original?

Disclaimer: Not strictly DH but screw you guys I run a DT Swiss hub on my "DH" bike.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Anyone tried it?

Is it as reliable and indestructible as the original?

Disclaimer: Not strictly DH but screw you guys I run a DT Swiss hub on my "DH" bike.
i upgraded to them in my 240s on my trail bike in august of 2009 - zero issues so far.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Had a set of 440 hubs that I upgraded did t have them a long time but they saw bad weather and some hard riding.
The guy that has them now has been beating g on them for 2+ years now and no maintenance issues that ive heard of yet the 36 star is still going strong...

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The drop in reliability on the 36t ratchet is pretty well documented. I was going to upgrade but held off after reading up on it.
I've heard rumors of such a thing but I don't understand how it could happen. The contact area on a star ratchet is still HUGE compared to a pawl system.

I just rebuilt my 2 DT hubs over the weekend and after years of abuse the star ratchets still look like new.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've heard rumors of such a thing but I don't understand how it could happen. The contact area on a star ratchet is still HUGE compared to a pawl system.

I just rebuilt my 2 DT hubs over the weekend and after years of abuse the star ratchets still look like new.
Slap a 36th I. Run it keep your 18 as back up its simple to swap out and go ride. That's what I did, I kept mine in case someone needed it....

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/dt-swiss-36-star-ratchet-upgrade-pros-cons-765625.html

There's plenty of discussion about it. I think the key is to make sure the springs push the ratchets together properly, and are lubricated very lightly. I'd personally either use a very light film of the genuine DT product, or just a thick oil and re-lube a little more often - given how easy it is to do.

The chromed steel on the current 18T and 36T ratchets is very hard and the mode of failure won't be from wear / lack of lubrication, but rather from skipping due to using grease that's too sticky. Keep it clean and lightly lubed and I think you'll be good.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
It's time for a hub service and you guys have convinced me to try the upgrade. I blame you all if this ends badly.
Lol we will blame it on jonkranked since he isn't in this thread he can't defend himself...:thumb:

You won't be sorry, its one of the nicest upgrades and if it fails its one mod the easiest to redo...the extra engagement will be nice...