Quantcast

DT Swiss Hugi FR and DT Swiss 440s.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Yeap. But from what I remember the differences are not very substantial. The Hugi FR IMO is better looking if nothing else.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The 440 has the new alloy freehub body which saves a lot of weight over the previous-gen stainless one.

The Hugi FR's also had problems with cracking (I cracked a rear one personally and saw countless others), whereas I think that problem has been addressed in the 440's.

Finally, the latest (i.e. current, if you buy brand new) 440's also feature the new 36pt engagement star ratchets, compared to the 18pt of old.

Hope that helps.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I've heard about them commonly cracking as well. How does DT address this issue in terms of warranty?

Also don't many people complain about alloy freehub bodies because of the "softness"?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well I haven't seen the new 440's crack, and it has been a long time now since they replaced the old Hugi FR's. I'm not sure how warranty worked but I presume they just replaced them with the new hubs if you were the first owner.

As for the alloy freehub bodies, most topend hubs these days use them by default (DT, CK, I9, Hope) and personally I haven't had any dramas as long as they are matched to cassettes with alloy carriers (XT, XTR, Ultegra, DA and whatever the SRAM equivalents are).

The smallest cogs will still bite in a tiny bit since they aren't on carriers, but I haven't had it cause any real dramas - just a little fiddling when it comes to taking them off. Obviously the smallest cogs have a lot less leverage over the freehub, so they can't do as much damage.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I haven't seen the cracking issue but I have snapped the inner aluminum axle of a DT hugi 135x12mm rear hub leaving the cassette/freehub body in one hand and the hub shell in the other. I have done that to a couple profile hubs as well. I was really surprised because I never take care of any of my DT hubs and they always work. I have never had any problems with the 440s though.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I have had a FR hub r crack after 5 years of hard use. Sent it in and DT gave me a new hub, DT is a great company. They have the best service in the bike business.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Only problem I have seen is that their aluminum spacer tube that lets the freehub body float can crush down a bit (doesn't take much) and then your freehub will bind when you tighten down your axle. If you have a DH frame without pinch bolts on your rear axle, the chances of this are much better since you really have to slam down the through-axle. My big complaint with DT is it's a top end hub that is almost all press fit assembly, so you have a 400 dollar piece of componentry that you work on with a hammer and vise grips. I do like their engagement system, but Hadley is far superior overall IMO.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
The 440 has the new alloy freehub body which saves a lot of weight over the previous-gen stainless one.
My Hugi FR came with an alloy free hub body. Mine was probably one of the later ones made as the 440 came out shortly after.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I do recall them updating them near the end... who knows, maybe they updated the hub shells at that point too. The one I cracked had the stainless free hub body.