Quantcast

DT Swiss star ratchet

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My hubs are the 350's. They're ancient but work great. I was thinking of changing the 18 poe star ratchet though, just because. I figured I'd look on ebay for a 36 or maybe a 52 of the price is right. I know the retail is outrageous on them. When I went to ebay though, there's TONS of SR's offering 36, 52 and even 60 poe, but they're made in china and not officially DT. Anyone tried these? Any good? Some places want $25 others $55.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've got a brand new DT Swiss 36poe set which I bought to go in some road wheels, but then have never changed from the 18 they came with. I'd be open to a meaningful offer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FWIW the 54 on my commuter skips now and then under load. Never skipped with the 36t on the mountain bike.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My crappy stem bike came with 36t DT hubs. No complaints, but far from “instant”. Not sure I’d want instant, but there you go.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Still using the 18t after all these years. Had a slight case of upgradeitis about 8 years ago but couldn't bring myself to spend when the thing is working perfectly... and continues to do so to this day. Been on this hub about 15 years... and I bought it used!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Still using the 18t after all these years. Had a slight case of upgradeitis about 8 years ago but couldn't bring myself to spend when the thing is working perfectly... and continues to do so to this day. Been on this hub about 15 years... and I bought it used!
This is where I'm at. Mine are off of my 2007 Sunday. I never had an issue but thought about trying the 36. Unfortunately, it cost as much as the 54, so why would they even make a 36 anymore?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are people who need more than 18 and people who are fine with it. It has nothing to do with ability, terrain, speed, tech, etc.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I have the 60T chiner one, seems to be holding up for now. I'm 250 fwiw. I hafta get a spare star ratchet set in case/when I blow this one up as I converted a 370 to a 240/350..

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
DT 340's.
18 tooth no problems.
36 tooth - first ones I slipped and chipped. (I was about 220 lbs) Often wondered if I overdid it with the special lube. I didn't slop it on, but....?? When I put the second set in, I slightly stretched the spring and was careful with the DT Swiss lube. Replacement set has been good for many years. All original DT parts.

Not tried the 54s.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
DT 340's.
18 tooth no problems.
36 tooth - first ones I slipped and chipped. (I was about 220 lbs) Often wondered if I overdid it with the special lube. I didn't slop it on, but....?? When I put the second set in, I slightly stretched the spring and was careful with the DT Swiss lube. Replacement set has been good for many years. All original DT parts.

Not tried the 54s.
Re grease.
I went from dt grease to hadley teflon oil on my 36t and didn't have a problem for like 2000 miles when the bike was stolen.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Pull those springs people!
Zee more preload on zee star rachets, zee less chance of zee dreaded slip and chip.
Spread the word....

5+ years on 54t, zero problems other than pretty loud. Good for trails with hikers, or portly e-bikers.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Pull those springs people!
Zee more preload on zee star rachets, zee less chance of zee dreaded slip and chip.
Spread the word....

5+ years on 54t, zero problems other than pretty loud. Good for trails with hikers, or portly e-bikers.
Anyone get a sinusoidal high/low pitch buzz sound with their dt hubs with pulled springs?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
This is where I'm at. Mine are off of my 2007 Sunday. I never had an issue but thought about trying the 36. Unfortunately, it cost as much as the 54, so why would they even make a 36 anymore?
Larger teeth are stronger and less likely to slip once some dirt and water have made their way in. DT recommends more frequent servicing with the 54t. I think the 36 is quieter and less drag too but it's small enough difference I could be imagining it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've heard that on many DT hubs with stock springs. Because the pitch change doesn't correlate to the rotation position of the freehub I have no idea what causes it.

I have experienced that too. Since the frequency of that oscillation is much lower that the rotation of the wheel, or anything else for that matter it is probably to similar harmonics that amplify/cancel each other out at a much lower frequency than their own harmonics.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yer smrt n’ shit

I used to design test equipment for the NVH industry. Understanding funny noises was a job requirement. I am most proud of this little humdinger I called the "violator". 100mm of stroke, 20Gs at 10Hz.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
You can swap out the ring nut in the hub shell for a 350's? Then put a 350's freehub on it? Anything weird or are the hub shells, bearings, axle bits all the same dimensions?
Yup, you need a special tool to remove the 370 nut (it's a bitch to remove, required me taking it to the LBS and having three dudes yank on the wheel to break it loose). Install the star rachet nut and star rachet, then normal 350 freehub. Nothing weird, it's basically the same exact hub, just with a traditional pawl mechanism instead of the star rachet. I was looking for a cheap hub, this probably cost me a little bit less than a 350 with the 18t star rachet.

Here's the video I used as a guide:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Zombie thread revival!
I’m searching in vain for the OD and thread specs for the thread-in insert for a DT hub. Would anyone have their old ratchet ring from a conversion and be willing to measure it?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I used to design test equipment for the NVH industry. Understanding funny noises was a job requirement. I am most proud of this little humdinger I called the "violator". 100mm of stroke, 20Gs at 10Hz.

The guy she tells you not to worry about.