Quantcast

DTswiss wheelset value?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
First off not spam, just information gathering. So i'm contemplating selling a wheel set that i had built about 5 years ago and have never ridden on nor ever even had tires mounted to them. They're dtswiss 240s hubs with DTswiss xr4.1d rims. I've done some looking around online and I know of a few people at work that are interested, but I have no idea what they may be worth. Any suggestions from the monkeys in the area? Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 111022

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Ya know I just can't do that i gotta make a profit I got employees and overhead to pay the best I can do is 100. I mean how guys come into my shop looking for a DT Swiss wheelset? Final offer 125 and that's stretching it

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Comparable parts and labor using QBP as a source puts the minimum to your door price and labor at $238. QBP has the DT Swiss M-1900 wheel set for $222 @ pal...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cannondalejunkie's wheels have 240 hubs. The rear hub alone is nearly $400 new retail. Granted they are five years old so I would think your first estimate is more realistic.
397.06 to be exact. I wouldn't pay that much for one.... Who here has paid full retail on anything in say 10 years? IMO the M-1900 wheelset comes with a hub very much like the 240. The centerlock version is almost exact. That entry level OEM wheelset can be had for $250 to your door.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and sell them then.... I'd be happy if I could get 300-400 for them I guess... Honestly I don't remember how much I paid for them. Plus I'd like to see someone get some enjoyment out of them..thanks for the info guys

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Cannondalejunkie's wheels have 240 hubs. The rear hub alone is nearly $400 new retail. Granted they are five years old so I would think your first estimate is more realistic.
I'm not sure sure those hubs have changed much. My 7 year old 440 on my heavy wheels uses the same star ratchet as the new ones

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Not sure about that, as I think the new(er) versions have new pawls which have more points of engagement (32 now?). I have old 440 hubs on both my rides, and the only real work I've done on them is put in the new higher engagement pawls and throw a little grease in there every so often. Decent weight, unmatched (IMO) reliability, even asshats like me can service them, and now with a respectable amount of engagement. I can only assume the same can be said for the 240s.

As for the rims, I don't have any experience with the 4.1s, but my 5.1s (on my AM bike) have been nothing short of stellar in terms of resisting flat spots and bad hops. That said, I do keep an eye on spoke tension and rarely run low pressure, and ride like a cvnt compared to rest of the RM pinners, so perhaps I could even get by with a set of Crossrides.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
This is random, but I built up a set of (used)240's on ( brand new) Sun Ringle equalizer rims, dt Swiss 2.0 / 1.8 black spokes, and real brass nipples. They weigh 1550 for the set. I am thinking $450 shipped. Thoughts?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
^^

Not sure about that, as I think the new(er) versions have new pawls which have more points of engagement (32 now?). I have old 440 hubs on both my rides, and the only real work I've done on them is put in the new higher engagement pawls and throw a little grease in there every so often. Decent weight, unmatched (IMO) reliability, even asshats like me can service them, and now with a respectable amount of engagement. I can only assume the same can be said for the 240s.

As for the rims, I don't have any experience with the 4.1s, but my 5.1s (on my AM bike) have been nothing short of stellar in terms of resisting flat spots and bad hops. That said, I do keep an eye on spoke tension and rarely run low pressure, and ride like a cvnt compared to rest of the RM pinners, so perhaps I could even get by with a set of Crossrides.
You can get a kit to change out the old one to have more engagement, I'm pretty sure everything else is the same. I've done the upgrade for people