Quantcast

DU Bush Types

Apr 26, 2004
Just about to order some, but which type?
Options are...
Polymer or metal with DU (blk) or DP (red coating).
What are the differences?

Cheers,
Stu.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Metal is what you want for the actual body of the bushing, it's what all mtb shocks use. For the inner coating, i'd definitely recommend the red.

I don't know what the exact difference is (i'm sure someone else will) but i've used both red and black over the years, because fox/5th use red and manitou use black. I've found the red ones last much longer, whereas the black seems to compress and wear faster, and I suspect it's softer.

Hope that helps!

PS - there might be some more info for you here:
http://www.msb-bearing.com/e-product-01-SF1.htm
Looks like there's a heap of types, but if you can take a fox one in and get it matched that's what i'd recommend. Probably not a big deal either way though, they are cheap enough from bearing/bushing shops that you can afford to replace them every 6 months if need be.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i just changed my bushings to the black one... hope its lasts. anyways, the one i took out was the stock fox one. and the number on it is K5AG 08DP08

udi, are these the same bushings that are used in the actually shox it self? when i took apart my shox i saw what looked like the same red bushing that was used on the mounting points of the shox. is there anyway to excess it too?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah the part number for the fox/5th/roco bushing is 0808. Any bearing shop will be able to recognize that and get the right one.

And yep, the shaft bushing is a DU bushing just like the ones used in the eyelets. Pretty sure it's not the same size though, and getting it out would be really hard without damaging the seat for the main shaft seal (o-ring).

I think it's a one-time install (you'll notice it would be very easy to press in, just not vice versa) because when I enquired about replacing the bushing during service, I was told that it comes pressed into the seal head, and that they would just replace the whole head if the bushing needed replacement.

Hope that answers it!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
just want to inform other peep that the black bushing is crap... it didn't even last 20 runs, and that was in one day.:plthumbsdown: