Quantcast

Dual 24's on a 1st Gen P?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Now that i have a separate bike for my patrol duties i mainly ride my P2 for street/park/dj's. i was thinking of running dual 24's to help out with some of the tighter spots. has anyone tried this? i don't think it was designed for 24's but if my cranks won't scrape every time i turn then i think it would work.

so...yes or no?

my current build. i know...the fork is huge but i was riding EVERYTHING on it. i've got the air assist pumped up so it's virtually rigid.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, your biggest problem will be the low BB. It's already extremely low on 26s (11.9ish??). Actually, though, that big fork helps raise the BB, but then it slacks out the headtube angle. I'd measure your current BB height and pedal clearance then subtract and inch and see what you think.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Yea, the bb would be super low with 24's on a 100mm fork or so, but with that huge dj on there I think you'll be ok. I had that exact same frame for a couple of years, it works well with forks >100mm. Also depends on what length cranks you are running. Measuring to be sure is always a good idea though

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Instead of 24"s I would get some different tires (Krads, Kiniptions, or Holy Roller), go to SS, and at the very least get some smaller rotors and maybe even drop the front brake. Those should help in getting things lighter and make the handling snappier.

tomyboy

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Irvine
im running dual 24s on my P2. Works well. Bike is extremely low and the wheelbase is short. Just get short cranks and you should be fine with the low BB. Standover height shorter too. Easier to bunnyhop and manual for me.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Instead of 24"s I would get some different tires (Krads, Kiniptions, or Holy Roller), go to SS, and at the very least get some smaller rotors and maybe even drop the front brake. Those should help in getting things lighter and make the handling snappier.

um..i'm 230lbs, the few grams i'd save by switching rotors wouldn't make a difference in my case. my tires are fairly light, lighter than the Krads i think. my concern isn't for handling characteristics in the form of weight, it's for geometric and wheel-to-vert ramp improvements. 24's are much easier to throw around on the ramps than 26's. i used to run dual 24's on an old hardtail back in the day, wish i still had those wheels :cheers:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
IMO it'll be too low and hard to ride. I would switch the fork before the wheels.

Take off the front brake, go SS, and then have a real purpose built bike.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I think you'll be fine Tubby. It would be quite low with a BB height, but some shorter cranks and the fact that you have a 150mm fork should help alliviate that problem. I ran dual 24's on my '03 P.1 just for kicks one time and it rode just fine. Pedals cleared the ground when cornering for the most part.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
um..i'm 230lbs, the few grams i'd save by switching rotors wouldn't make a difference in my case. my tires are fairly light, lighter than the Krads i think. my concern isn't for handling characteristics in the form of weight, it's for geometric and wheel-to-vert ramp improvements. 24's are much easier to throw around on the ramps than 26's. i used to run dual 24's on an old hardtail back in the day, wish i still had those wheels :cheers:
Manimal - As far as tires, I was thinking more along the lines of traction. The front looks pretty smooth but the back might loose traction.

Changing the rotor will save some rotational weight which is important granted not a lot like you said. but having an 8" rotor is a bit overkill for park, street, dirt. I'm 225 and use a 990 which will stop me. A rear 6" disk should be plenty and you'll worry about it less than an 8" on street and park.

I'm running a USB and love having the 24"s. They are indeed quicker. But I really think the P2 will be crappy with them. Buying new cranks so you don't hit the ground? Keep the 26"s, drop the fork a smidge, convert to SS, drop the front brake, take off the front bash stuff and I think you would be happier and having spent less money.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Manimal - Check this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170830

That's the setup I was getting at although I know it's not a gen1 P2. Boxxer knows how to set up bikes and this one is no exception - that thing looks good!

Edit - looks like you saw it with your reply on that thread. What's you thought changing your P2 a bit like Boxxer's build?

Add on: What about trying a 24" cruiser complete? I think you could get a dk General Lee for the same price as a 24" wheelset. Another thing to think about going w/ 24"s - the CS length. Your P2 is around 16"? The General Lee is 15.5" and a Tonic or USB is 14.5". Your wheelbase will still be the same. And having a tight CS/wheelbase by using 24"s still won't be taken advantage of.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Manimal - Check this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170830

That's the setup I was getting at although I know it's not a gen1 P2. Boxxer knows how to set up bikes and this one is no exception - that thing looks good!

Edit - looks like you saw it with your reply on that thread. What's you thought changing your P2 a bit like Boxxer's build?

Add on: What about trying a 24" cruiser complete? I think you could get a dk General Lee for the same price as a 24" wheelset. Another thing to think about going w/ 24"s - the CS length. Your P2 is around 16"? The General Lee is 15.5" and a Tonic or USB is 14.5". Your wheelbase will still be the same. And having a tight CS/wheelbase by using 24"s still won't be taken advantage of.

yeah, boxxers ride is BEAUTIFUL! i almost picked up a green P at my LBS, they're pretty decent stock. i may still end up selling my P to a neighbor kid that needs a ride and i'll just fork out the rest for a new p. i have some 6" rotors lying around, maybe i'll throw them on for kicks.
does anyone know if the '04 dj2 that came on the big hits is reduceable to 4"? it's 6" now. i like the fork but it's on their more as necessity than function. it was a take-off from my old bighit and was a lot cheaper than buying a new fork...besides, i was racing DH on it so it served a purpose i suppose.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
does anyone know if the '04 dj2 that came on the big hits is reduceable to 4"? it's 6" now.
Yea it's reduceable. I think Marzocchi makes a kit to reduce to it's normal 110mm, and if they don't, you could simply buy a Nemesis Project lowering kit to lower it to your desired amount of travel for between $45-60.