Quantcast

Dual Control levers

Aug 11, 2004
Hey are these Dual control levers really worth all the hype I am hearing about them. Right now I am using rapidfire xt shifters with xt disc brakes. It seems like everyone at the races has the dual control levers. Are they that big of an upgrade? If they are worth it can I get XTR ones that work with my xt brakes? I have an XTR rear der. and an xt front. Should I get the XT dual control levers or XTR? Is there a difference besides the finish?

I found these XTR ones on e-bay xtr dual control

And these XT ones on e-bayxt shifters

Should I bid? which ones would work better with what I have?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I'm not crazy about the dual control levers. I wear medium size gloves and the levers feel too big for my hands. If I got a pair for a sick deal I would run them, but for now I'm sticking to my rapidfire and grip shifters on my bikes.

You can run your older XT brakes on the new XT or XTR levers. I would use the XTR over the XT dual control. The XT levers are more a block shape where as the XTR has more of a round shape. After a long day of riding, I can see the XT levers diging into your fingers as you have to press down to shift each time. Also, the XTR slim design looks better than the XT bulky design.

splat

Nam I am
I demoed a Bike a pedros fest with them. I really did not like them ( but then again I prefer Grip shift).

the to big problem I saw.

Every time I hit the from prake I shifted my front derailer also.
and The rapid rise derailer , IWhen I wanted to down shift I had to hitthe botton once for each gear.

That is just my opinion take it for what it worth .

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
The XTR dual control levers are awesome, or at least I think they are. I agree with the fact that the XTR are more streamline than the XT levers, they also have smoother shifting capabilities. Some folks use the optional thumb trigger, but I recommend not using it.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist.

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
I have XT dual control levers (came on bike) and I'm not crazy about them. They're not bad, I just like the old triggers better, or better still the new SRAM ones. I'm also currently having shifting troubles (The derailleur wont tune for both top and bottom gears at the same time) with the '04 XT (I've had the bike for about 4-5 months, I think). I've aligned the hangar and changed the cables (outer and inner) and that hasn't fixed it.
Just my experience with them.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I love them. Best thing I have ever had and I have tried just about everything we ever had from friction thumb shifters, push push, Suntour triggers, Suntour thumb shifters, Grip shift in 7 and 9 speed , Shimano rapid fire plus triggers and for the past two seasons integrated XTR with rapid rise. I was reluntant to try the rapid rise but decided to try it for a while and really see how it works. I say it works better because it removes the human skill element from the more difficult shift. Dual control levers also are more easy to shift and brake simultaneouly than any others I have used at least for my short fingers. The last race I did, The Gearjammer in Squamish had a lot of really tight twisty flat singletrack where I was shifting up and down almost non stop.

But every one is built a little different and has different preferences. Think about what you like and try it for yourself and keep an open mind about it. And pretty much all Shimano mountain components work with each level. You can mix and match at will. Go read the last Velonews for an interesting article on XT v XTR.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I have the XTR ones for a while now although I;m ashamed o say I have only ridden with them twice (been on the road bike) anyways, they look cool but still not too sure, have kept a pair of XT rapid fire shifters for back up cos they frekin expenesive on their own, so I'll enjoy them while I have them, I also worry that they will need constant gear adjustment, anyone had long term use with them ??

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I 've been on them since February '03. They need as much adjustment as any 9spd set up. That means once adjusted they remain in adjustment.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
YOu need to adjust nine speeds all the time!

Besides... I guess it would provide3 something fun to do on the climbs. BUt downhill would be hideous.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
ioscope said:
YOu need to adjust nine speeds all the time!

Besides... I guess it would provide3 something fun to do on the climbs. BUt downhill would be hideous.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Raiyn said:
Dual Control and Rapid Rise have to be the worst "innovation" hurled at us since Positron shifters
Because? Do you have any reasoned thought or actual experience to make that statement?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
rockracing said:
5th ride on sunday with my xtr ones, and am really starting to enjoy them, all will be like this soon.
They're fuggin' expensive. I personally don't like the "integrated everything" idea due to having to purchase some rediculously expensive thing when one little part breaks. I like my shifter separate from my brake lever separate from my bars separate from my stem, etc....

-S.S.-

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
SkaredShtles said:
They're fuggin' expensive. I personally don't like the "integrated everything" idea due to having to purchase some rediculously expensive thing when one little part breaks. I like my shifter separate from my brake lever separate from my bars separate from my stem, etc....

-S.S.-
to be honest I only got em cos they came on my value-loaded Scott hardtail, I really wanted the bike for the Fox fork and XT parts, they fact that the bike comes speced with XTR shifters and hydro's was a bonus. The aftermarket price of the levers here is around R4100 and the whole bike cost me like R15000.........go figure.

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
Seems like alot of roadies (who have dual controls for a while) seem to like these.
Whereas, mt bike only types do not like these.

I tried them and think they would be great, but the bike I wanted / could afford, didn't have them.

Find someone with a set and try them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I think I see what's going on here...... Shimano is trying to force the use of their discs with this move....... very clever.

I break a shifter with the non-integrated setup - $70 for a new shifter.

I break the shifter with the integrated setup - $375 ....... holy $hit. Even I didn't realize the extent of this screw......... :eek:

-S.S.-

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I give up. Yes Mr Shimano whoever he is has horns and red pointee tail while SRAM has a halo and floats a few centimetres above the ground. SRAM has only ever made perfectly functioning parts which instal themselves, are self cleaning and will last until the gnab gib. Shimano on the other hand hires Fat Tony like guys who hang at bike shops to "encourage" people to buy Shimano.

When I crashed a few years ago and bent my Shimano brake lever, I bought just the lever blade and went merrily upon my way. Are you saying you checked with Shimano and discovered that they don't sell just the shifting unit? When I had a big sticj jam in my spokes two years ago and tore the tab from the b plate, I went to the shop and purchased a b kit, new bolt, spring, seal and plate all in a little Shimano baggie. When my 9.0sl snapped off, I had to get a new derailleur..twice. I found out later that SRAM were actually replacing snapped derailleurs so my bad.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
oldfart said:
I give up. Yes Mr Shimano whoever he is has horns and red pointee tail while SRAM <snip rant>
Whoa. Hold on there, Tex. Don't get your knickers in a twist. Who said anything about SRAM? :confused:

I don't like integrated parts. I've busted numerous Shimano shifter pods & would be annoyed if I had to buy the whole thing. I just like separate pods, levers, etc......

I seriously doubt that Shimano will stop mfgr'ing the separate pods, so this might be a moot point.

-S.S.-

J

JRB

I have enough trouble slamming on the brakes every time I shift on the road bike. That would really suck on the mountain bike.