Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Pepe Locos

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Just curious how people who have used them, like them. I got a set of the Saints new off of Buy and Sell for my XC bike. They are very light, and have NO gear indicators (which I dont use anyway) but will be my first set of dual control shifter/levers.

Any complaints?

Ive used them before at some Demos and got used to them pretty quick.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I built up my XC bike a couple of years ago with the XTR dual control levers - LOVE them. Once I got used to them, I find that they shift really crisp and quick, and the rapid-rise rear action is really nice when it comes to shifting under torque. I'm a fan.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Full Trucker said:
I built up my XC bike a couple of years ago with the XTR dual control levers - LOVE them. Once I got used to them, I find that they shift really crisp and quick, and the rapid-rise rear action is really nice when it comes to shifting under torque. I'm a fan.
Cool. I also got an XTR Rapid Rise der. so it's good to hear that the combo works well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I got them to be on the technology curve, and I have gotten used to them. I might even get them for my next bike...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
I got them to be on the technology curve, and I have gotten used to them. I might even get them for my next bike...
I full planned to go X.O., but the money is just out of hand, even as a shop employee, I couldnt find anything for under $140. And forget about the XO shifters (non twist)

But, here on RM, I got an XTR der and Saint shifters for $140. God bless the buy and sell forum:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
I love my Sram XO's which I suppose are 'dual control' not sure about what that means exactly though.
:rofl:

Dual control is a Shimano specific term, N8. It refers to the new integrated shifters and brake levers, where pushing the brake lever up and down causes your gears to shift.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I tried them once and didn't care for them. Granted, that was a short ride and I didn't really put them to a trail test, so take that for what it's worth.

I have a Rapid Rise derailleur and I think it sucks balls.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
I love my Sram XO's which I suppose are 'dual control' not sure about what that means exactly though.
No. That's not what i mean. Dual control is where you shift by lifting up on, or pushing down on the brake lever instead of having regular paddle controls.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Full Trucker said:

Same here.
I'd only use them on an XC bike though.
I've got XT dualies on both my XC bike and my FR/ Trail bike and I don't think they handle abuse very well.

The typical e-whine you hear about accidental shifting has never happened to me and I can't imagine anyone that's really tried them actually making that claim.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
No. That's not what i mean. Dual control is where you shift by lifting up on, or pushing down on the brake lever instead of having regular paddle controls.

gottcha... I should have stopped at :wave: then!

By the way, ditch that Shimano stuff and git you some Sram goodness and never look back!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
took them for a full day, along with rapid rise and I cant say there is any room in my heart for them. If I was JUST doing simple, boring xc riding with zero need to hop, jump, or drop, sure they would be fine. But in the real world that I ride in they would constantly shift on me when I would get the bike moving under me. Bunny hops would turn into shifts. Drops could turn into shifts at any moment, and all out sprints (bike side to side) would shift as well. And for me rapid rise was useless for the DH style of riding that I have (downshifting while braking with a quick rotation before I lean, upshifting under chain load). I dont like em, but I can understand why some people do however. For me they slowed me down enough to find them a disadvantage

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
:rofl:

Dual control is a Shimano specific term, N8. It refers to the new integrated shifters and brake levers, where pushing the brake lever up and down causes your gears to shift.

So do you have to change out everything to replace a single shifter?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know the usual complaints, but I can brake and upshift together (sorta), it works pretty reliably for me, and with rapid rise, I think it is a winner.

But it is not the number 1 feature I am looking for, and ultimately dual control met a need which did not exist...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've had them on a few bikes for a couple years. Overall, I like them. Only issue I had was during a 12 hour race, my knuckles started to get a bit sore from shifting back up(lifting the fingers). Never had that issue before or since that, and just chalk it up to one of those things that happens during extended times on the bike.

Currently, I've got them on two of my bikes and one of my wife's. All XT, btw.

*edit: I do not run them on my DH bike and my other bikes are all SS.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
gottcha... I should have stopped at :wave: then!

By the way, ditch that Shimano stuff and git you some Sram and never look back!
I have been using sram for the last few years and I have no problem with it, other than that the der. sticks out too far and gets destroyed too often. But they operate really well. I also have no problem with shimano. XTR might not be as blingy, but its lighter and cheaper.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Only tried it on demo's and friends bikes.

For my riding style they suck. Too many accidental shifts while braking. I couldn't shift through the range as quickly as I could with a shifter pod. and Rapid Rise is the antichrist.

My advice: try 'em out for yourself, then sell 'em on ebay.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Well the shifters and levers are integrated, so if you destroy one than yes, you get a whole new one. But its lighter and a bit cleaner.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
Um, yes, just like every other integrated brake/shifter combo that's existed for the last 15 years :)

I don't really like the idea either and have never gotten onto the integrated brake/shifter wagon... but it's not a new idea.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
peter6061 said:
Currently, I've got them on two of my bikes and one of my wife's. All XT, btw.

*edit: I do not run them on my DH bike and my other bikes are all SS.
Those last two sentences make ZERO sense together :rofl:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
BurlyShirley said:
Those last two sentences make ZERO sense together :rofl:
Well, more specifically,

I've got them on my all-mountain and XC FS bikes.

I do not have them on my DH bike

My DJ , CX, Fixed, and SS have no need for shifters as all are one-speed.

My wife rides them on her XC bike, but not on her SS or cruiser.

All remaining bikes are road and use STI (similar).

Does that help? And don't worry, I've already accepted that I have a problem. They do all get ridden though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
<snip> but I can brake and upshift together (sorta)
With the move to discs and the ability to easily brake with one finger, I've found even with "traditional" RF+ I can brake & shift. I just use the middle finger for braking and shift with thumb & index.

I've got no comment on the dual-control, though. :D

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
atrokz said:
. Bunny hops would turn into shifts. Drops could turn into shifts at any moment, and all out sprints (bike side to side) would shift as well
My hands aren't near my brakes while I sprint, hit drops or any of that so it's never been a problem for me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have a set of the xtr's that I rode for more than a year because I really wanted to say I tried. At first I had a rapid rise der, then switched to a regular. I just can't get down with them. I don't like wagging brake levers. Apparently I lean on my levers because I got lots of unintentional shifting. I don't like shimano's road levers either, for the same reason - I prefer Campy because the brake and shift levers are independent.

I've still got those dual control levers and will sell them cheap. They are the xtr hydro version, drop me a pm and make an offer. (Sorry for the spam, but it's kind of passive spam.)

And I just don't understand how people who know how to shift would ever want rapid rise.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
DVNT said:
My hands aren't near my brakes while I sprint, hit drops or any of that so it's never been a problem for me.
I've always got a finger on the brakes, asside for my street bike with one brake. force of habbit, and also needed as if the front slips I lock the rear to get it to slide as well, etc.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The dual control system works exponentially better with rapid rise as it is an intuitive system that works with the subconcious part of the brain-I'm not kidding-this is all Shimano research ad I have found it to be true myself under application. The shifting is down for harder and up for easier. When you change the rear derailleur to regular it screws the whole system and does not work near as well.
I have also found that when you need to shift really quickly under torque you can with out "popping" your chain like with sram or regular shifting. A huge advantage to those of us who like to climb technical trails.
Dual control however is horrible for gravity events for the same reason it excels in XC. The derailleur shifts the opposite way under load so it's not as crisp or reliable. It also is uneccessary to have dual control shifters for front and rear when you only have a rear derailleur thus making it overkill and irrelevant for gravity riders.
I have found that if you are having problems using the system and find yourself shifting while braking or vice-versa you just need to roll the shifter up a bit for better ergonomics. I believe the new XTR system is even better ergonomically-it works with smaller hands and has a multiple shift option now becaus the shifters engage sooner.
In my experience running a bike shop i have found that people really need to ride dual control on the mountain to experience it properly, you just can't see it perform around the parking lot.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've had Campy on my road bike since '93 and STI on my X-bike from '99 to '03... I was never able to get used to the STI... I also never liked Gripshifters... I have been running RF+ shifters on the mtn bikes for over a decade now and have little desire to change. Hell, I still run 8 spd all but one bike.

I'm just a retro-grouch... :think:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Ian F said:
I also never liked Gripshifters... I have been running RF+ shifters on the mtn bikes for over a decade now and have little desire to change. Hell, I still run 8 spd all but one bike.
:stupid:

my new bike will have 8 speed also..

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
SRAM is introducing dual control for road bikes. It's supposed to make it into the Tour next year.

I haven't run sh|tmano for years. I don't like the SRAM trigger shifters but totally dig on the gripshaft.

I'm sure you've all seen this: