Quantcast

Dual crown and head set...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I’m going to install my new fork on my bike tomorrow (with the help of an LBS!) I was hoping I can get a couple of pics of headsets and configurations to make sure I have what I want to do in my mind correct.

And that being said, the stem I’m going to use is 31.8mm, but am going to shim it to fit 25.4mm. Any tips on shims?

Thanks in advance!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh, shims are shims. Not an ideal solution, obviously (shimming never is), just make sure there's no grease or anything on them and make sure the stem bolts are good and tight.

Just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to layer beer-can cutouts in there :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
binary visions said:
Meh, shims are shims. Not an ideal solution, obviously (shimming never is), just make sure there's no grease or anything on them and make sure the stem bolts are good and tight.

Just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to layer beer-can cutouts in there :D
You can DO that?...:think:

:D

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
binary visions said:
Dude, you haven't lived until you've shimmed a major structural component with Bud Light can trimmings.
I know many riders use them , but I had serious issues with a shimmed seatpost when I first started biking that has forever sworn me off from using them ever again. I just don't trust them.. To be it's an extra part that is not needed in most cases.

toby