Quantcast

Dual crown Endurbru fork

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I bolted them onto a hardtail I was riding many moons ago to see if I could break it. TPC plus goodness, I miss my fireflies.

Hahah. Holy shit. Where'd you come from? How did that happen?! I was speaking figuratively about wanting them, sorta...but not really, either...

Hope all's well in nizilind.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
In the late 90s/early 2000s this was the direction things were headed. Rockshox had a 4" dual crown Judy and I think I even remember a Sid. The E150 had promise and I loved my Maverick DUC (after extensive spring and damper mods). When freeriders started doing tricks I saw the industry heading toward single crowns for the mid-travel market and was disappointed but realized it was hopeless cuz there was no type of racing using 5-7" forks so no one was gonna be pursuing maximum stiffness to weight. It was gonna become about tight turning radius and X-ups. Now with Enduro I'd like to see companies experiment with 6-7" travel dual crowns to see if they can be better than what exists. At the extreme light end I don't think they'll beat the 150mm Pike/34 but at the weight of a 170mm Lyric/36 maybe it can work better.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Boxer stanchions and internals accept Pike lowers? What thread is in top of stanchions? Could you shorten them a touch and recap thread or are they double butted style? Some Pikkers with sub 7" travel would be cool..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rode my enduro/AM bike to 12,000' today.

These people are out of their damn minds. Keep it single crown. The pike is 4.1lbs for gods sakes. Anyone who thinks the ideas here are good should be forced to ride a SID XL dc for a season.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There was a 45 or 50 one. They had 3 sizes.
That's something.

That said, as a weirdo who has to run this stem and a 10mm rise bar on his Megatroll to get the bars where I want them, I still don't think that's going to work for me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think I'll stick with my 36 thanks.

Have you ridden one of the new ones? They're pretty damn stiff.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
jesus christ Chris Porters bikes get uglier by the day. What will he add next? 27,5+ or go full-on fatbike?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Some people will just do things different for the sake of being different.

That said, ive never ridden a bike with a HA like that. But the Swiss Nationals track last week in Verbier was steep enough that Id definitly like to try it out.
The longer wheel base would also help since it was a very fast track with not too many tight corners.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Boxer stanchions and internals accept Pike lowers? What thread is in top of stanchions? Could you shorten them a touch and recap thread or are they double butted style? Some Pikkers with sub 7" travel would be cool..
Ignore me, chances of crowns lining up are slim to none I'm sure.

For the haters of this triple idea.
They could be made as light as singles.
Turning circle could be made as large as needed. Steering lock could be beneficial at max turn even. Does make bikes more manageable to carry.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I always thought a reduced travel Dorado or 40 would be cool on a really aggressive trail bike. I'm sure most people who have ever hit something crooked and twisted their stem on their SC fork would feel the same way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ignore me, chances of crowns lining up are slim to none I'm sure.

For the haters of this triple idea.
They could be made as light as singles.
Turning circle could be made as large as needed. Steering lock could be beneficial at max turn even. Does make bikes more manageable to carry.
For longer travel, like 180 and up, yes, but that much travel for all around riding is dumb. 160 is a good sweet spot, and with 1.5 steerers, the fore aft stiffness issue isn't a problem at that travel. I think the industry has centered on this pretty well for a few years. A DC at 160mm when we already have 1.5 steerers and decent sized stanchions will be a very limited market and heavier IMO than a good air SC. If we were starting with a clean slate, a 1.125 DC may be competitive with weight, but the benefits are too marginal and easily overcome by better designs (rather than comparing a 180mm SC with a DC, where the difference is more clear IMO).

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
For longer travel, like 180 and up, yes, but that much travel for all around riding is dumb. 160 is a good sweet spot, and with 1.5 steerers, the fore aft stiffness issue isn't a problem at that travel. I think the industry has centered on this pretty well for a few years. A DC at 160mm when we already have 1.5 steerers and decent sized stanchions will be a very limited market and heavier IMO than a good air SC. If we were starting with a clean slate, a 1.125 DC may be competitive with weight, but the benefits are too marginal and easily overcome by better designs (rather than comparing a 180mm SC with a DC, where the difference is more clear IMO).
guess you've never had premature creaking crowns. Triple clamps should be longer lasting, and forks should last longer than some do.
I can't see why they couldn't be as light. Yes there's a top crown, but narrower steerer or none in the case of the Mavericks, and a smaller and lighter direct mount stem(& shorter steerer).
I'd buy a 165mm travel triple, especially if it had a good wind down travel/height feature like my old Kowas had,not really relevant to this discussion though.
Whacking your knees on crown when out of saddle pedalling could be an issue for some on small sized frames.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
guess you've never had premature creaking crowns. Triple clamps should be longer lasting, and forks should last longer than some do.
I can't see why they couldn't be as light. Yes there's a top crown, but narrower steerer or none in the case of the Mavericks, and a smaller and lighter direct mount stem(& shorter steerer).
I'd buy a 165mm travel triple, especially if it had a good wind down travel/height feature like my old Kowas had,not really relevant to this discussion though.
Whacking your knees on crown when out of saddle pedalling could be an issue for some on small sized frames.
My single crown has triple clamps.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Or manufacturers could just stop shitting the bed and make a single crown csu that doesn't start to creak after a few months...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the article states it,s a modded Fox 40

• Fox 40 fork, set at 180mm – Chris prefers the stiffer feel over the 36. This particular set of forks have been custom built from the inside out, and weigh about the same as 2013/2014 Fox 34 TALAS forks!
It has the combined weight of a 2013 and 2014 Fox 34, so not really that light. ;) :weee:

And BTW, this has already been done: http://www.german-a.de/en/xcite.html
Modern version of the previously posted Votec fork.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not that one but id ride a triple crown enduro fork in a heart beat. Big guys like me flex the shit outa the little forks. Why loose weight if i could just buy a stronger fork. This is american enduro racing!

But for real, id rock a triple crown trail fork

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dual. Crown. Maybe dual triple-clamp/triple tree if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Goddamn it, not "triple clamp." Pretty much every fork except some rigid single crowns use a triple clamp or triple tree, whether it's a bolted clamp or cryo/bonded/press fit or whatever.

And I always wanted to lower a Fox 40 to 6" for a trail bike. I rode all around New Zealand when I was young, strong, and stupid on that Manitou Slider. What a great fork.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Keeping with the Germanic theme, I've been thinking about Bionicon lately. Their 160 DC is teasingly close chassis-wise.
http://evo.bionicon.com/en/bionicon-system/
But it seems they are phasing it out with the move to 650b, the new bikes have an adapted Metric fork.

Oh snap!

There ya go!

BIONICON Double Agent 160 TA 26''
Our dual crown fork for 160mm travel
The facts
Weight: 1980g

That thing is probably a horrendous piece of crap right?