Quantcast

Dual crown on a monocog?

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
So a buddy of mine Has a Mr. Dirt FAT fork that he'll sell me for dirt cheap, which is an inverted DH/FR fork. its adjustable for 4, 6, and 8" of travel. Im thinking about throwing this beast on my monocog but modify it for the '9er. im thinking i could set it up at 80-90mm and it wouldnt throw the geometry off too much. would running the dual crown stress the head tube too much? Im thinking it would work since i know of people running the maverick duc without issues, but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. I know it will be heavy, just thought it would be bitchin looking.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I guess it would work - but it'll de so damned heavy won't it? And won't you have to build a new front wheel too - I'm assuming it is a thru axle fork.

Doesn't sound like an ideal solution to me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Putting pretty much ANY dual crown fork on a frame not designed for it is asking for a trip to the dentist.

Might not ever fail, but you won't know till it's too late.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I'm pretty sure the Mr. Dirt fork used a proprietary 17mm thru-hub, so make sure you get that with the fork. I doubt you'll find one easily if you don't have one.

As I recall that fork weighs something like 8 pounds, which means your Monocog is going to be hella heavy.

But hey, if you like it, go for it!
yeah, it comes with a hub.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Putting pretty much ANY dual crown fork on a frame not designed for it is asking for a trip to the dentist.

Might not ever fail, but you won't know till it's too late.
Hmmm, not looking for a trip to the dentist thats for sure! Now what is the reasoning behind this? In my mind, if the axle is the same distance from the crown it will have the same amount of leverage between i single and dual crown. Not arguing with you, just interested in what would cause the broken head tube?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Hmmm, not looking for a trip to the dentist thats for sure! Now what is the reasoning behind this? In my mind, if the axle is the same distance from the crown it will have the same amount of leverage between i single and dual crown. Not arguing with you, just interested in what would cause the broken head tube?
DC forks add the leverage to the top and bottom of the HT simultaneously. It's like a very effective bottle opener applied to your frame.

It MIGHT hold, heck it might be fine for years, but it was not meant for it.

I dunno...write Redline an email and see what they say.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
DC forks add the leverage to the top and bottom of the HT simultaneously. It's like a very effective bottle opener applied to your frame.

It MIGHT hold, heck it might be fine for years, but it was not meant for it.

I dunno...write Redline an email and see what they say.

Ok, that makes sense.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
they will probably tell you not to do it. kona was like that. i had a 2000 stinky and i asked if i could run a 150mm singlecrown or even a dual crown, and they said no more than 130mm. despite that, i saw that frame set up with rocker plates extending the rear travel by 2" and an 8" shiver on the front (Zedro's rig).