Quantcast

Dual Drive Kona Unit

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
My LBS built this bike a while back, and I'm sure it's prolly been done before, but this is a killer bike that's a blast to ride:

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
That is very interesting, I have thought about it, but never went through with it. looks awsome, but serves no real pourpose. always wanted to put dual rings on the front and 1 gear in the rear. one day when I find the time.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Echo said:
It looks cool as hell, but does it really make any difference when you're riding it?
I need a setup like that on my commuter. I run such a retarded gear (44-13) that when I crank super hard climbing hills, stuff bends enough to derail my chain which normally causes things to end badly.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Echo said:
It looks cool as hell, but does it really make any difference when you're riding it?
I've never had it on a mountain, but I doubt it. It's just high on the coolness chart and thought I would share the cool.
:cool:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
One thing I noticed when riding that bike back in January is that it pedals very 'square' meaning that there is no flex in the bottom bracket area.

The force on the side of the bike where you are exerting pressure would normally flex the bottom bracket out to the other side but the chain on the other side keeps this from happening. I also really liked the engagement as only one side was engaged at a time, but the different locations of the freewheels in their respective rotations ensured that you were never more than a few millimeters away from the next contact point.

Very strange feeling the first time you ride it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Erik offered to sell me the frame, but I pleaded with him to keep it intact, and bought a Karate Monkey from him instead. Hopefully, I'll end up owning it one day... :drool:

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Nice...Phil Wood Kiss-off hub is sweet, the single-speeds are double sided and you can get them as fixed as well :evil: :thumb:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Palilla said:
Nice...Phil Wood Kiss-off hub is sweet, the single-speeds are double sided and you can get them as fixed as well :evil: :thumb:
From what Erik told me about this one, is he had Phil Wood cut reverse threads into the left side so he could use a left hand drive freewheel.

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
peter6061 said:
From what Erik told me about this one, is he had Phil Wood cut reverse threads into the left side so he could use a left hand drive freewheel.
yep, makes sense. That's pretty cool they did that for him. Not a cheap hub to begin with, let alone custom. :eek:

danfinger

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Man I hope people are still sub'd to this thread because I'd love to figure out how to get a left side drive bike going.

The custom threaded hub seems to be the expensive part, I'm also wondering how OP managed the pedal splining? That looks like a raceface crank there, which I'm pretty sure they didn't make for tandems.

[waves magic wand] "Threadicus Ressurecticus!"

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Man I hope people are still sub'd to this thread because I'd love to figure out how to get a left side drive bike going.

The custom threaded hub seems to be the expensive part, I'm also wondering how OP managed the pedal splining? That looks like a raceface crank there, which I'm pretty sure they didn't make for tandems.

[waves magic wand] "Threadicus Ressurecticus!"
I'm told it was a tandem crank. I sold the bike awhile back to a guy in Chicago.

If you're serious and have questions, call the guy who built it for me: Erik

He owns : http://slipperypigbikes.com/

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
what is "cool" or otherwise impressive about this bike?
:rolleyes:

The original builder is a cool cat who builds things just to build them. To see what will happen.
I remember him telling me about his idea. I told him "go for it". Why not?
I think its neat.