Quantcast

Dual Layer DVD-R with Lightscribe?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

To be honest, I've not seen dual layer lightscribe media yet. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but a cursory googling and some checking of other sites indicates that it's not readily available.

MHO is that lightscribe is fairly useless and a black Sharpie is much more effective but YMMV :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Yeah, but the lightscribe one was on sale :eviltongu
That wasn't my point. My point was that you don't have to pay extra for the lightscribe compatible media, because a sharpie is cheaper and as effective.

:eviltongu ;)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
That wasn't my point. My point was that you don't have to pay extra for the lightscribe compatible media, because a sharpie is cheaper and as effective.

But Lightscribe is cool! I'm all about gadgets :)

Really, I just want to try it. I'll probably buy some regular Dual Layer DVDs, and like a 5 pack of lightscribe CDs just to try.

And my girlfriend would like it...... I have bad handwriting ;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:

Yes but a sharpie has no STYLE. Think of it as the freeride competition of CD labeling... it's not enough that you pulled off the trick, it's got to look good as well!

Of course you can always use on of them fancy CD Stomper labeling dealies. You know... stick em in your printer and all that.

Lightscribe is not going to last. (Nor will it catch on, I think)
Tenchiro said:
The DVD-R on my new laptop is lightscribe, but I will be damned if I can get Nero to recognize it....
Updates from Nero maybe?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, So I got some regular Dual Layer DVDs, and some lighscribe CD-Rs just to play with them and......... yeah, its kind of lame.

But cool in a way.

But pretty lame

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Save the money and get a 42" 1080P LCD :D
Once your disc is sucked into the player, you don't see it anymore so Sharpies still win...freeride comp of media labeling, or not. The results however, ALWAYS look better on a hi def display :D

BTW, what are you getting your dual layer media for these days? I'm still using DVD Shrink to cut the extra garbage out of my ISOs, and Nero Recode to cut the end credits out. From what ppl've been telling me, I should get a copy of Final Cut and do thing right.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Ciaran said:
Updates from Nero maybe?
I have the leatest version of Nero Ultra which has lightscribe support, but the drives themselves have been problematic. At least according to various forums on the subject. I have gotten the latest lightscribe drivers from HP, but I may search out a firmware upgrade for the drive later.