Quantcast

Dual Monitors

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Right now I'm running a 21" CRT monitor to run Autocad off of.

I have a video card that has a connection one is the standard blue multi-pin connector and the other is the white multi-pin connector. How do I know if my video card can support 2 monitors and if it can what do I need to do to set it up?

Thanks
SZ.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If it's got two outputs, and especially if one of them is DVI (the white connector), it can probably support dual monitors. What's your video card?

Setup is easy. Plug in the second monitor. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
If it's got two outputs, and especially if one of them is DVI (the white connector), it can probably support dual monitors. What's your video card?

Setup is easy. Plug in the second monitor. :)
Which monitor should be hooked up to the DVI? If my monitor is currently hooked up to the blue connector can I just get a new cable to hook it up to the DVI connector??

It's an nvidia Quadro FX 500/FX 600

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You need a monitor that's capable of being plugged into a DVI port, otherwise an adapter is necessary... you very likely got an adapter with the video card.

If you already have a monitor, just buy a DVI-to-VGA adapter. If you don't have a monitor, just buy one that's DVI compatible. You could also check to see if your current monitor is DVI compatible, just look on the back and see if there's a DVI port.

Yeah, that card supports dual monitors.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
You need a monitor that's capable of being plugged into a DVI port, otherwise an adapter is necessary... you very likely got an adapter with the video card.

If you already have a monitor, just buy a DVI-to-VGA adapter. If you don't have a monitor, just buy one that's DVI compatible. You could also check to see if your current monitor is DVI compatible, just look on the back and see if there's a DVI port.

Yeah, that card supports dual monitors.
Ok cool thanks!