Quantcast

Dual purpose thread: Compact digital and 35mm "enthusiast" cameras.

Hey gents,

I'm looking for a compact digital camera for shooting during racing and training on road bikes...so ideally jersey-pocket fittable.

Reqs:
-Small
-24mm equivalent wide end
-Capable in lower-light circumstances (useable ISO1600 would be ideal)
-720p video
-Some level of manual control (aperture or shutter priority)

The Canon S100 is tempting, but pretty spendy for a compact. What else out there really compares? Keep in mind, cheaper is better, but even moreso, potential for loss and damage is high...hence my kind of shying away from the S100.

Now, the 35mm: Is there such a thing as a Contax T3 knockoff? That'd be my ideal film camera for the same work above. Lots of manual control, fast lens, compact, indestructible...sadly, they're around $900 used.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Look at the Nikon AW100.
Goes to 28mm equiv wide.
Waterproof with GPS.
Cheaper than the S100, I've seen them at Costco for about $280

For a cheap/small/awesome film camera, (SLR) take a look at the Nikon FG. (not the FG20, just the FG) They can be had for a song on eBay or Craig's list. They are small, light and with a 50mm can handle most anything. They are also so cheap you can buy about 10 of them for the price of one Contax T3.

Took these with one I got off eBay for $6.00:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Look at the Nikon AW100.
Goes to 28mm equiv wide.
Waterproof with GPS.
Cheaper than the S100, I've seen them at Costco for about $280
Still not sure why you're pimping the AW100 (in this thread and Dirt's in the Lounge), as it's got the tiny 1/2.3" sensor which is not going to be that great for either IQ or low-light photography. The Nikon P7000 that I played with (recommended it for my mother since it had everything she needed, including the optical viewfinder) blew away any other compact that I've used with regards to both IQ as well as medium to low(ish)-light photography (indoors, no flash). For me it all comes down to sensor (IQ, low-light performance, what the picture will *actually* look like) vs gadgets (GPS, movies, zoom distance, waterproof/shockproof, face detection, in-camera picture adjustment, etc). None of the gadgets will make the pictures *look* any better, whereas a bigger/better sensor will give you the best looking picture you can get.

Besides, the S95/100 goes down to a 2.0 aperture, whereas the AW100 only goes to 3.9... Yikes. Dunno, if I'm going to be dropping close to $300 (especially after tax) on a compact camera, I think that reaching a little further for a better camera/sensor would be well worth the cost. The S95 only does 24 fps at 720p, but it's available refurbished directly from Canon for less than $300 if you have an old Canon (any old Canon, preferably not working) that you can send in for their loyalty program.

Besides, the AW100 doesn't do RAW. That's *essential* for me in any camera that I buy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Still not sure why you're pimping the AW100 (in this thread and Dirt's in the Lounge), as it's got the tiny 1/2.3" sensor which is not going to be that great for either IQ or low-light photography. The Nikon P7000 that I played with (recommended it for my mother since it had everything she needed, including the optical viewfinder) blew away any other compact that I've used with regards to both IQ as well as medium to low(ish)-light photography (indoors, no flash). For me it all comes down to sensor (IQ, low-light performance, what the picture will *actually* look like) vs gadgets (GPS, movies, zoom distance, waterproof/shockproof, face detection, in-camera picture adjustment, etc). None of the gadgets will make the pictures *look* any better, whereas a bigger/better sensor will give you the best looking picture you can get.

Besides, the S95/100 goes down to a 2.0 aperture, whereas the AW100 only goes to 3.9... Yikes. Dunno, if I'm going to be dropping close to $300 (especially after tax) on a compact camera, I think that reaching a little further for a better camera/sensor would be well worth the cost. The S95 only does 24 fps at 720p, but it's available refurbished directly from Canon for less than $300 if you have an old Canon (any old Canon, preferably not working) that you can send in for their loyalty program.

Besides, the AW100 doesn't do RAW. That's *essential* for me in any camera that I buy.
I'm the other way around here. I've played with the AW100 (and I liked it) and I actually OWN the P7000.

I would not recommend the P7000 as a trail/sports/action camera. EVER. It's too slow in it's overall performance and too fragile for rugged use. (a half hour trip to the beach almost ruined it, just from blowing sand)

There may be better choices but I think the AW100 fits a few criteria here:

Waterproof
Shockproof
Operable with full finger gloves (P7000 really loses here)
GPS with on-board maps
28mm at the wide end
SMALL (like half the size of the P7000)
1080p
Decent (not fantastic) IQ

All that said, if it were me?

Fujifilm X10 and some TLC.

LOL!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That'd be my ideal film camera for the same work above. Lots of manual control, fast lens, compact, indestructible...
[nikonfanboi]I think 35Ti or 28Ti would really fit the bill here. I mean, they casing is FVCKING TITANIUM for chrissakes.[/nikonfanboi]

I see them on eBay all the time.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Lumix DMC-LX5, it is on the larger side but I have the older DMC-LX3 and find it quite good, the LX5 is better everywhere but not enough for me to trade up. My current camera has been dropped numerous times, left in my Camelbak in the rain and only discovered it days later and was still very wet, it now has over 8000 shots on it and it's still going well.

You will never get a decent shot at 1600ISO on the LX5, from what I have read 800 is about the limit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There was a Fuji camera that produced acceptable ISO 1600, but you're really hard pressed to find a compact that does anything reasonable at that ISO.

I don't know, anytime anyone says a camera needs to "fit in a jersey pocket" or is any kind of dedicated trail riding camera, I think you either need to go really cheap (~$150) and treat it as disposable, or buy one of the ruggedized cameras as H8R suggested. The IQ out of the AW100 is not stellar, but it's decent, and GPS is a cool feature to have on a riding camera for sure.

As great as anecdotes are of a camera's toughness, the problem is that the abuse that we all expose them to is very random. You could drop a camera fifteen times and never break it, while someone else drops it once, it hits in just the right way, and it's fried. Same with water.

This isn't for trailriding - road riding, so space is at a premium (and theoretically, contact with the ground would be kept at a minimum). The P7000 is definitely too large. While I don't wear gloves, ease of operation in a program mode would be key...often the photos I snap are on the fly (from the bike), especially If I'm on a ride with others.

If I got a spendier compact a la the S100, I'd probably look either into an impact-resistant case or making one myself. Waterproofing isn't a huge deal - it'd be nice, but it's not like I'm going to be pulling the camera out to take some shots in sh!t weather. I AM with Dante on the sensor size issue - I don't want something with a sensor almost as small as the one in my phone. IQ is a big reason for getting a prosumer compact. RAW shooting is almost a must, unless the JPG processing is fantastic (and it never is). Don't care about GPS or other doodads. I'll look at the Lumix stuff...I've heard good things about their "core" functions (RAW image IQ and sensitivity).

On the film cameras, those Nikons are rad, but as insanely expensive as the Contax. I'm actually a little drawn to the Olympus XA2. Stupid simple to use, tiny, and cheap enough to be disposable with a modicum of manual control.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So, you want a larger sensor, better IQ, and RAW capabilities.... Sounds to me like you want the S100 but you just need to talk yourself into it. :)

(I'd say look into the S95, particularly if you can do a Canon Loyalty program to get one at a discount, but not sure if it meets your video-needs)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
...road riding...space is at a premium....Waterproofing isn't a huge deal...I don't want something with a sensor almost as small as the one in my phone. IQ is a big reason for getting a prosumer compact. RAW shooting is almost a must...Don't care about GPS or other doodads....

Ok....fvck it:

Sigma DP2 Merrill

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP-Merrill/

Raw shooting.
APS-C sensor.

Actually, the DP2x or DP1x are both pretty intriguing. I'd sacrifice decent video capability, but IQ is always king in my eyes. Plus, used or refurb'd they seem to drop for around $300. A pill I can swallow.

Now...short or long focal length?

Local friend offered me his S95 for dirt cheap, so I jumped on it. Snagging it Monday.

The old Sigma DP1s/2s were appealing, but the absolute slowness and inability to try one out locally turned me off. I'm all about manual when I can fiddle with controls, but when I'm on bike and want to snap a quick shot of a teammate doing something funny/stupid/rad, I can't wait 4 seconds for the camera to boot.

By the time the DP1/2m hits the market, I might be in a position to upgrade already, we'll see.

Anyone have experience with any shock-resistant cases for the little buggers?