Quantcast

dual ring to a single ring..

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I want to change out my dual chain ring setup out for a single ring setup on my 2004 Demo 9. What cost am I looking at? And what is a good front sproket/rear cassette setup for N Star....??

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You're looking at the price of a new chainguide (anywhere from 50 used to 150 new) and possibly a new chainring (around 30) which you should probably just swap out to get the gear you want. While you're at it, you could do new chain/cassette if yours is worn. The new SRS+ looks very interesting for the "average" Dh'er, and Gamuts are great too (very simple).

I would say the new Shimano Saint 11-28 cassette is hard to beat - enough gears for a bit of a spread so you don't have to shift 2 gears at a time to feel a difference, and not so much that you have 3 top gears you never use. The 11t is nice to have so you can get a smaller chainring; lots of road cassettes in 9-speed end w/ a 12 unless you replace it with an 11t if you don't want a corncob cassette. Plus Shimano cassettes seem to last well and shift well. I would get an XT or XTR chain to go along with it.

As far as chainrings, 36-38t seems to be the standard these days in terms of ground clearance vs. gearing. I like my 36t for my trails, but on the faster stuff a 38t might be nice. I like my e13 ring; light, cheap, and strong enough for me. The new Gamut ring looks nice as well.

You could probably sell your front derailleur/shifter for enough to cover the cost of a used chainguide, so you'd be out a chain/cogset/chainring most likely, something that will likely need to be replaced anyways if your bike has OEM drivetrain bits still.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Thanks for info.:thumb: I want to simplify my bike and loose a little weight at the same time..... I pretty much only ride N Star and really don't use my smaller front gear....

Any reason I should keep the dual chain ring setup??

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Thanks for info.:thumb: I want to simplify my bike and loose a little weight at the same time..... I pretty much only ride N Star and really don't use my smaller front gear....

Any reason I should keep the dual chain ring setup??
Sounds like you should go for a single ring - it'll fall off less (as in never), be simpler/lighter, and look cooler!

I would do a 36t ring then because you'll get some extra clearance for stuff like the slabs and whatnot. Nothing on that hill is particularly insane speed-wise.

I would look around for used chainguides, and get a new chain/cassette/chainring. I just scored a used LG-1 off RUFUS for something like $55!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Go with a 36, you might also need to swap the cranks and BB, depending on what guide you with. If you decide on removing the granny tabs, use a drill, much faster and cleaner than a grinder. Carefull when ordering a 36 ring, you will find those in shift rings, and guide rings. they dont match up on the cranks the same, so be sure to order the proper one that fits the cranks your using. Of coarse if you get new cranks that are meant for single ring, it will be the guide ring you need.

What BB and cranks do you have now?