Quantcast

Dual Slalom to be added to the 2009 Gravity East series

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by GPERKINS, May 11, 2008.

1. GPERKINS

GPERKINS Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    After talking to one of the guys up at the Massanutten race about getting Dual Slalom added to the 2009 Gravity East Series, he said that it is defintley possible if we get enough interest. I for one think it would be a great idea. And I know a few others feel the same way. What is your opinion on the subject?

Austin

Please register to disable this ad.

2. yuroshek

yuroshek Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    theres no reason why the GE series SHOULDNT have DS in it.

im all for it.

3. DirtMcGirk

DirtMcGirk <b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    Bring back four cross.
    Easier to make.
    More fun to ride.
    Lots of fun.

4. ChrisKring

ChrisKring Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 4
    huh, 4X takes a ton of work to make a good course.

I say grass dual. Trust me, it's a ton of fun and races are not decided until the finish line.

5. Eastern States Cup

Eastern States Cup Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    -1 / 2
    it will fail. It's enough to get the different venues to agree on everything/anything. And there really isn't all that much interest/profit to make it work. If it wasn't for one person sacrificing a ton of time there would not be a 2008 series. There's a lot involved more than meets the eye

6. dw

dw Wiffle Ball ninja

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Absolutely! Dual Slalom is the best, so much fun. Those races were always a high highlight of the weekend at Trail 66, Attitash and Killington, 2 totally different courses but both awesome. Build it and they will come. At least I will.. heh

7. Summit

Summit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    That's great and all but (hijack) why doesn't the Gravity East have any Super D's???!? Doesn't make any sense to me...

8. ATOMICFIREBALL

ATOMICFIREBALL DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Why not race a 2x at Bigfoot mountainbike park located "near the iconic Windrock mountain'.
    "Someone" needs to weed eat & rake the course again though.

9. lunendan

lunendan Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have not raced in years but would like to start again but seems to be very few dual slaloms around. I raced the trail 66 races back in the mid 90's and it was a ton of fun. I made it into the top 16 bracket a handful of times seeded 16th or 15th and always had to race Aaron Chase or Kyle Ebbitt who seeded 1st and 2nd. Of course they smoked me but it was fun. Great spectator sport because you can see the whole course and have way more practice runs unlike the downhills. I would like to try 4x too but it is definately alot more work for a course. It needs to be a dedicated course. Someone should put together a series and alot of mountains(Sunday River, Highland, Attitash, Killy, Mt.Snow) may dedicate a course.

10. John P.

John P. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I've never been a big fan of (or any good at) DS, but if it attracted more racers, then great. If, on the other hand, it made it cost-prohibitive for some promoters, then just stick with DH.

BTW, pretty much every promoter in the country could learn a lot by checking out Massanutten's organization sometime. I can't recall any race I've done in the last 10 years that has been better organized or more 'user-friendly'.

--JP

11. SuspectDevice

SuspectDevice Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 28
    DS doesn't need to be a part of GES. DS needs it's own series, away from mtn venues, and closer to urban areas.

Little crap ski hills and hills behind abandoned factories, bring it on!

Americans are lazy, and if there is the option of sitting on a lift to ride DH, vs pushing up a hill to race slalom, and be watched by other folks (i.e. harder to pose at) they will take the easier, less intimidating option any time, IMO.

12. jasride

jasride Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 4
    Agreed. SLALOM. smooth tracks, tighta$$ burms and people havin good times.

13. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    You hit the nail on the head right there! Too true :pirate2:

14. olddogbmxer

olddogbmxer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Some of the GES venues already have DS races such as Platty,Mt.Snow and Wisp so it would be easy enough to add to the GES series having the DS races on the same weekends(Saturday like Platty) if there are enough people and venues interested.Would make for a fun weekend of racing at venues that can handle it.DS series at Platty has slowly been growing as they have built a course under the direction of Tom Oakes the past few years that has been a blast.