Quantcast

Dual Slalom to be added to the 2009 Gravity East series

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
After talking to one of the guys up at the Massanutten race about getting Dual Slalom added to the 2009 Gravity East Series, he said that it is defintley possible if we get enough interest. I for one think it would be a great idea. And I know a few others feel the same way. What is your opinion on the subject?

Austin

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Bring back four cross.
Easier to make.
More fun to ride.
Lots of fun.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
it will fail. It's enough to get the different venues to agree on everything/anything. And there really isn't all that much interest/profit to make it work. If it wasn't for one person sacrificing a ton of time there would not be a 2008 series. There's a lot involved more than meets the eye

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
After talking to one of the guys up at the Massanutten race about getting Dual Slalom added to the 2009 Gravity East Series, he said that it is defintley possible if we get enough interest. I for one think it would be a great idea. And I know a few others feel the same way. What is your opinion on the subject?

Austin
Absolutely! Dual Slalom is the best, so much fun. Those races were always a high highlight of the weekend at Trail 66, Attitash and Killington, 2 totally different courses but both awesome. Build it and they will come. At least I will.. heh

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Why not race a 2x at Bigfoot mountainbike park located "near the iconic Windrock mountain'.
"Someone" needs to weed eat & rake the course again though.

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
I have not raced in years but would like to start again but seems to be very few dual slaloms around. I raced the trail 66 races back in the mid 90's and it was a ton of fun. I made it into the top 16 bracket a handful of times seeded 16th or 15th and always had to race Aaron Chase or Kyle Ebbitt who seeded 1st and 2nd. Of course they smoked me but it was fun. Great spectator sport because you can see the whole course and have way more practice runs unlike the downhills. I would like to try 4x too but it is definately alot more work for a course. It needs to be a dedicated course. Someone should put together a series and alot of mountains(Sunday River, Highland, Attitash, Killy, Mt.Snow) may dedicate a course.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've never been a big fan of (or any good at) DS, but if it attracted more racers, then great. If, on the other hand, it made it cost-prohibitive for some promoters, then just stick with DH.

BTW, pretty much every promoter in the country could learn a lot by checking out Massanutten's organization sometime. I can't recall any race I've done in the last 10 years that has been better organized or more 'user-friendly'.

--JP

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
DS doesn't need to be a part of GES. DS needs it's own series, away from mtn venues, and closer to urban areas.

Little crap ski hills and hills behind abandoned factories, bring it on!

Americans are lazy, and if there is the option of sitting on a lift to ride DH, vs pushing up a hill to race slalom, and be watched by other folks (i.e. harder to pose at) they will take the easier, less intimidating option any time, IMO.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Americans are lazy, and if there is the option of sitting on a lift to ride DH, vs pushing up a hill to race slalom, and be watched by other folks (i.e. harder to pose at) they will take the easier, less intimidating option any time, IMO.
You hit the nail on the head right there! Too true :pirate2:

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Some of the GES venues already have DS races such as Platty,Mt.Snow and Wisp so it would be easy enough to add to the GES series having the DS races on the same weekends(Saturday like Platty) if there are enough people and venues interested.Would make for a fun weekend of racing at venues that can handle it.DS series at Platty has slowly been growing as they have built a course under the direction of Tom Oakes the past few years that has been a blast.