Quantcast

Duck basics?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
We want duck for xmas dinner. Never cooked one before.

Suggested prep/easy recipes? (Thinking European rather than Asian.) Things to watch out for with duck?

Thanks,

MD

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I would never cook an entire duck.
Duck should be broken up into two main meat groups: Legs and Breast. They are both cooked differently.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
poke LOTS of holes in it with the tip of a knife or a fork....... There will be a lot of fat that drains out.... Keep the fat it's the best for cooking with.
Roast potatoes done in duck fat are unbeatable! :thumb:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
God, I'm getting hungry. Dave, thanks for the link--we will try that.

Should we put veggies around/under the roasting duck to let them roast in the fat while the duck cooks, too, or roast the veggies after the duck...?? Kumara sounds like it'd be excellent roasted in duck fat. Alas, not much of that round these parts.

Steph is heading to the Old City bird market tomorrow to source us a duck in the shadow of the Charminar mosque. Friends found some good, passable thanksgiving turkey there among the parrots and budgies and nightingales. And giant stinky mounds of bird ****.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I just cooked pear brined smoked duck breasts this weekend.

Brine it. Then smoke it. Cook bacon in duck fat.

Brine
4 cloves crushed
2 pears - quartered
6 cardamom pods crushed
1/4 cup kosher salt.
heat until salt is absorbed. then add 2 cups of ice.

Cut crosshatch pattern in duck fat. Put delicious small bird in ziplock bag and pour on the brine. Put it in the fridge overnight.

The next day, take it out and pat it dry. In a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, fat side down begin cooking off the fat. Pour off the fat as needed. When you get a nice juicy caramelized crust on the breast take it out. Pour out the fat but leave some in the pan, add 3 tablespoons of green tea, close lid and let sit for 30 seconds. Open quickly, add breast, cook 2 min per side for medium-rare. Take out, slice and serve.

I made sugar snap peas with hints of orange and black pepper with mine and some potatoes. Serve with a Pinot Noir. I surprised myself and my girlfriend. Duck is soooooooo good.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just cooked some eider breast (sea duck) and it was delicious. Marinated in acidic marinade (something with citrus juice) for 24 hrs. Then cooked over medium-low heat in a pan with olive oil until medium rare which took about 20 minutes. It was great!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the basics of a duck:

-water fowl
-has a bill
-quacks
-poops
-often seen on the sweatshirts of old men
-if you don't shoot them before they fly away, that stupid dog will pop up and laugh at you

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle