Quantcast

duck's New Devinci Wilson 3!

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
First off, some of the pics suck, I'll get some better ones up here asap.
Thank you Favorit Cycles here in Cranbrook for the amazing deal!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
sweet what sort of weight is it. I have a mate who has last years one with boxxer wcs and its very respectable. It rides pretty sweet too. Enjoy

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I think it's just under 40. I'll get an accurate reading once the shop gets a digital scale in. I've only ridden it around the street so far and it petals awsome, but I'll have to give a better reveiw once spring comes.

Thanks for the comments!

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Not to pick on you directly but everyone's new bike ALWAYS pedals awesome. :plthumbsdown:

That said, minus the air shock, it looks like a very sweet ride.
That is very true about petaling awsome. I have about 1/4 sag when sitting on it, no where near a hardtail but it does petal good.

The frame was built with an air shock in mind, I love it.

Also, TGR, since when is a 888 RC3 not sick?

It's my first fully, I'm very impressed with it, I like having the options of a more freeride geometry vs. a DH geometry with 4 frame options, and the adjustability of the RC3.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
Nice ride. You;re going to love it out on the trails. I got my 4 in the fall an had a chance to get a few runs on it. Corners beautifully and super light. I dont' know about you but I knocked about 5 lbs comming from my glory. It makes a big difference.

enjoy.

PS pull out that red spacer between the crown and the headset. It Throws off the balance of the bike (all your weight is on the back). Specially in the low/long setting it makes the bike turn into a huge slug. No fun and hard to get off the ground.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
That is very true about petaling awsome. I have about 1/4 sag when sitting on it, no where near a hardtail but it does petal good.

The frame was built with an air shock in mind, I love it.

Also, TGR, since when is a 888 RC3 not sick?

It's my first fully, I'm very impressed with it, I like having the options of a more freeride geometry vs. a DH geometry with 4 frame options, and the adjustability of the RC3.
A 64 deg HA and 14.2 BB is very DH. What are the 4 frame options you mention? And saying it's your first fully means most people will discount what you say about it's performance. I'm just picking on your writing a bit. I've always liked the Wilsons, especially when they got slacker and lower. Air shocks are not my thing but they work great for lots of riders. Overall congrats on a sweet ride!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Cool! Didn't see that mentioned on the Devinci site at all and the only list one geo, the one I quoted above. How much do the settings affect the geo?
Geometry Specs:

Dropout Position/Front Shock Position/Chain Stay/BB Height/Head Angle/Travel/Wheel Base
DH Front 17.3 13.9 64 8.6 45.9
FR Front 16.8 14.4 65 8.8 45.4
DH Rear 17.0 14.8 65.7 9 45.6
FR Rear 16.5 15.4 66.8 9.1 45.0

*the geometries are with a Fox 40, semi-integrated headset and 2.3 tires on a medium frame*

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I just got back from the shop, cut 1.5" off the seatpost, changed it to full FR mode and swapped the high rollers for minnon DHF super tackys.

Pics to come soon, after seeing the geometry specs I think i'm going to change the rear back to DH, but keep the front FR.

It would be nice if it said FR front+FR rear, FR front+DH rear, DH front+FR rear, DH front+DH rear.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i've had about 4 rides on my wilson 4. they are sweet. the front DH setting makes at HUGE difference to the bb/HA - almost 1 inch lower and 2 degrees slacker. personally, i run an e13 low stack headset and slam the front end down on my WC. make sure you take up the slack in the bearings as they wear in over the first 2-3 rides. it's ridiculous how much flex/play they develop if not kept tight.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Thanks for the tips.

I think I'll run the frame in dual freeride positions for the time being. There's still over a foot of snow here, so it'll be a while before I get some good rides in.

The rear end will be torqued out once the shop gets the numbers from Devinci.

N I C K

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
Sunapee, NH
good to see marzocchi went back to riser crowns :huh:

oh and, sick bike man, weight?
Yea i was wondering the same thing, but it seems the axel is alittle bit higher up on the lowers than in previous models. So maybe they dealt with the height issue and needed the riser crowns to clear the tire. I could be wrong tho.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Weighed my Med 4 frame before building. It was 9.2 pounds with axle, DHX 5 Air, headset and seat collar.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
thanks for the props... since building it, i've added some weight with bigger brakes (gustav front caliper + bigger rotors) and a Roco Coil... still stupidly light IMO... pivots need to be kept on top of... MSRP on frame is around C$ 2400

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
2 dropout options:

2 shock options:
That is the bOmBzoR!

Geometry Specs:

Dropout Position/Front Shock Position/Chain Stay/BB Height/Head Angle/Travel/Wheel Base
DH Front 17.3 13.9 64 8.6 45.9
FR Front 16.8 14.4 65 8.8 45.4
DH Rear 17.0 14.8 65.7 9 45.6
FR Rear 16.5 15.4 66.8 9.1 45.0

*the geometries are with a Fox 40, semi-integrated headset and 2.3 tires on a medium frame*
So what geo is it with a DH front and a FR rear?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Rockwool...^Wouldn´t that be the "DH Front" setting, slack but short cs?