Quantcast

Duct Tape residue + carpet = ANGER

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
So I layed down some rubber matting on the carpet in my apartment for my bikes. I used some black duct tape around the edges to keep them down. Awesome idea at the time - UNTIL I decided to remove the duct tape. The duct tape left a black residue on the (white-ish) carpet that is now officially the bane of my existence.

I've tried 4 normal carpet cleaners that you can find at the local walmart/grocery store. I even tried goo-gone. The ****'s not coming off. Anyone have any tips on how to get this stuff off and looking fresh? I've done some google searches, but didn't find anything too helpful. I anticipate a heathly serving of double entendre carpet jokes, but maybe there is a dude who does this for a living on here. Help a rider out, I'm 1 night away from calling a professional cleaner. No way I'll lose my deposite over this.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
When reading the title of the thread I was thinking I was going to read about a Laotian hooker, a sawzall and 7 poptarts.

Anyway, have you tried Lestoil? I've also used lighter fluid but can stink.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
The stuff we use to clean sanding residue/oils from a car before paint at the autobody shop works wonders. It's a wax/grease remover but I have no idea how you'd get a hold of any other than going to a body shop and asking to buy a small amount from then.

Try nail polish remover/acetone/paint thinner though, should bring it out if you let it soak... may leave an odor for a few days though haha.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Try spraying the goo residue down with WD-40 - let it soak for a while, then follow with a spray-in rug shampoo. Let dry and vacuum. Repeat and Repeat again. It eventually does go away.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
1) Measure outer dimensions of marked area
2) Go to Home Depot
3) Buy rug 2" longer in both directions
4) Place over affected area

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
1: Spray with WD-40 (the real stuff not a wannabe wd-40)
2: Let sit for 10 min
3: Lightly brush off with a steel brush (not too hard or you'll have no carpet left)
4: Vacuum residue
5: Follow up with one of the carpet cleaner solutions you bought

Works with gum too

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Goo-gone works well and it the least harmful to other stuff it touches.