Quantcast

Dude...my bro trashed a Banshee scream frame...on a snow drift!?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
On a walk with his wife and dog, my bud decides to boot off a small snow drift. It hits harder than he expected(it was like 50 today...should have been soft like the others, right?), and it sets him up ugly, he let's it go. It lands on him first, THEN hits the ground and TRASHES the frame, not just cracks it! It looks like it land on the bars and then the fork must have just slammed into the ground, because the downtube broke in front of the lower shock mount, and both the top and bottom tubes are pushed to the left. I bet the head tube sits 2-3 inches off center!
I've seen this poor bike 20' in the air and still climbing off our step-up jump from several bailed attempts, and a few other similar incidents, so we both assume it was already on its way out and this was just the back breaking straw, but still... a Banshee Scream on a snowdrift on a sidewalk 2 blocks from his house??? That's embarrassing...:p

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That's Aluminium for you... Alu frames should come with a warning: "Warning: Undetectable work harding in progress! Brittle failure may occur!"

How old was it out of interest, and where was it stored?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
BigMike said:
So his wife was walking his dog while he rode his Banshee?

Yep...Only he doesn't call them "walks," I believe he considers it "slow speed bike control" :)
The frame was under 1 year old, should be under waranty, but it seriously looks like it was hit by a train! He JUST slapped on the 150mm rear swingarm kit as well. If they warantee it, it'll be cool, but not sure what the demand for 150mm rearends is...?
Oh, and it is stored in his basement. I was wondering about that as well. But, even if it was stored outside, it's been relatively warm for the last few days, so the metal never saw more than a 15/20 degree temp change.
I'm going to chalk it up to pre-existing stress. And killer snowdrifts.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
stuff like this really scares the crap out of me. i dont like to think about parts failing, but i know it can and does happen all the time. stupid aluminum. i'm gonna go out and buy something big and made of steel.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
skatetokil said:
stuff like this really scares the crap out of me. i dont like to think about parts failing, but i know it can and does happen all the time. stupid aluminum. i'm gonna go out and buy something big and made of steel.
Why? If there's one thing you can always count on, it's that EVERYTHING breaks.
The fact that it broke doesn't surprise me, it's that he broke it on a SNOW DRIFT. Too funny...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
spacemanspiff06 said:
i broke my big hit frame on a 2.5 foot drop to trany. and it survived 10 ft drops, 30ft gaps and stupid drops to flat before.
It was the stupid part that killed your frame. The small drop just made it obvious.