Quantcast

Duffield Derby 5, Bike Race and Party

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
The 5th Annual Duffield Derby will be held in Louisville, KY on June 26th, 2005.

Cross Country race followed by a Downhill race, which is race held on the slalom course.
For those of you who have never been to Ft. Duffield, the trails are made up of hand crafted, rock armoured flowing trails in the hills of Kentucky surrounded by an old Cival War fort that over looks the mighty Ohio. There are 2 DH trails a Slalom trail and several great XC loops.

The full DH race course (slalom trail) is visable from the parking lot, so it will make for a spectator friendly race. The trail is made up of jumps and berms tied together by steep switch backs. Its really a fun course. Local favorite Eric Porter got his start racing here.

Sponsers for the race include Bluegrass Brewing Company, Jim Beam and the bike shop Cyclers Cafe will have give aways and prizes. www.cyclerscafe.com

Also, test ride bikes by Santa Cruz.

We will have a Bluegrass band playing some of that old fashioned tobacco chewing, corn liquor shwilling, fiddle playing music. :evil:

Oh and we have lowered the entry price to $10 for the DH. Its a short course and just meant to be a fun thing (but bring the competition if you've got it). There will be good prizes and party to be had for all.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Duffield Derby 5 update

Sponsors are pumped to make this years Duffield Derby the best yet. Bazos Mexican grill has donated gift certificates giving the race the name "Ride for the Tacos"
Bluegrass Brewing Company is offering cases of beer. Jim Beam promises to step up to make this race a sure bet for the bad livers.
With a $10 entry and the best grand prize ever, belt buckle with the words "Born to ride, ride to live" and engraved to commemorate the day at the down, this day is sure to be a blast.
(grand prize for DH slalom)

Hope to see you there.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I was out there over Labor day weekend and didn't see any DH or DS trail.
I got on the forums before hand and couldn't find anyone to play tour guide.
T, are you going to be available to ride this coming Labor day weekend?
I know it's far off but it's the NBL Grands so I know I'll be there.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Peete,

Sorry I missed your ride, I am always down for playing tour guide when I can.

But Memorial Day weekend I have tentative plans for heading to West Virginia. Planning on ridding Kanawha State Forest.

Feel free to drop me an email: Tgaines72@hotmail.com , I can see if I know of anyone heading out there to hook up with.

The yellow (DH) trail starts from the back side of the fort and descends back to the parking lot, following a creek bed. Along that same trail, there is a split off that takes you to a dubbed "freeride trail" with several lines down through ledge drop offs and jumps etc.
The 2nd DH comes down along side the shuttle road.
The slalom trail starts also behind the fort, near the end of the gravel road, and swith backs all the way down to the parking lot, and you can see the whole thing from the lot.
The XC loops also have some very fun downhills, really a 5" or 6" travel bike is about perfect for everything there. Unless you wear a heart rate monitor :rolleyes:
The godfather of Kentucky Mountain biking, Bruce Montana, has handcrafted the trails in this park. He spends nearly 40 hours a week moving rocks and building features on the trails. They are a work of art.
But not to overstate them, they are in the "hills", not quite the same as a DH in the mountains. Hills are a different ride, and for DH racing its a short course, but fun none the less.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Ft. Duffield sits at about 500 ft. above sea level with about 300 ft. elevation loss on the slalom trail. We have 3 DH trails with several alternate lines, and a freeride area of rock drops and jumps. So even though the race is on the slalom we can still ride all the trails (except for DH#1 during the race,which crosses the XC race trail). We will have practice runs from about 9:45 to 1:00.
The race is all on a steep trail with bermed switchbacks with some jumps and small drops along the way. You can ride this trail fast and will make for a fun race.
It was brought to my attention that someone ran a listing in Dirt Rag calling this race a DH race, and I am trying to clear that up. It is all downhill and steep at times, but it is not really a full on DH trail.

At any rate a shorter wheel base bike would be an advantage on this trail. Hardtail with short stem and beefy fork or 5" and 5" or some kind of mountain-cross bike.

Hope you can make it. You are welcome to camp at Ft. Duffield Saturday night.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
A large turnout showed up for the 5th Derby. The XC race went off in the early am, while the slalom racers went off around noon.
The slalom trail made for a great race trail. It was a fast and fun trail. One thing I should have mentioned in advertising for this race is that Eric Porter (Ironhorse) designed and built this trail in 2000-2001. It has elvolved into an even better trail, perfect for racing.
We are planning on adding a end of season race for first week in October. Its not final yet, but it looks good for that week end. So if you missed it, come down then.

DH/ Slalom
Expert
1 Andrew Parson
2 Brad Titzer
3 Matt Rhodes

Sport
1 Grant Carson (best overall time)
2 Hank Martin
3 Brandon Mauch

15 & Under
1 Clayton Omes
2 Biggs Eckman
3 Michael Olliges

Female
1 Laura Klapheke

65-year-old or older
1 Frederick Mause

Derby history
2001: Eric Porter
2002: Dave Diamond
2003: Joe Bell
2004: Brian Klaphkeke
2005: Andrew Parson

adrock33

Monkey
May 7, 2002
kentucky
the sport class and the expert class started in two different spots, with the sport starting a few feet in front of the experts. so the sport class winning time wasn't the best overall time. by the way, the expert winner's last name is parson not person.

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
no I had planned to but my Great Grandmother passed away so I stayed home... I think Im' going to come ot Fontana though....not racing sucks...any word on slalom or mountaincross races?...

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
David sorry to hear about your grandmother.

As for races, we will get one together for the first weekend of september. So my schedule looks like:
Snowshoe August 20
Vermont Aug 27
ETSU Sept 3-4
Snowshoe Sept 10-11
Mammoth Sept 16-19

Catch a ride if you need and bring it!

adrock33

Monkey
May 7, 2002
kentucky
all i was saying that it's not fair to compare the two times, because of the two starting positions. the experts started on top of picnic tables with a drop to flat. the sport class started on the ground at the front of the tables.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
ztlh13 said:
David sorry to hear about your grandmother.

As for races, we will get one together for the first weekend of september. So my schedule looks like:
Snowshoe August 20
Vermont Aug 27
ETSU Sept 3-4
Snowshoe Sept 10-11
Mammoth Sept 16-19

Catch a ride if you need and bring it!
I would like to add the Duffield Derby to a series, do you have any suggestions? MADHRA is no longer, so who would add the Derby to their series?

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
tgaines72 said:
I would like to add the Duffield Derby to a series, do you have any suggestions? MADHRA is no longer, so who would add the Derby to their series?
Someone will have to step for 2006 if there is going to be progression for our region. I am not going to commit the time until I am finished trying to be a competitive racer, but there is definately a market!