Quantcast

Dumb, or genius? (Ultra short stem)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I still wish my TT was shorter, this *might* present a solution, but pretty sure would have some steering drawbacks. Plus it's $200.
Thoughts, lizard slayers?
Color mr 'intrigued yet skeptical'.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
It depends on what bike/what fork (read steering angle/offset). Never understood the whole super short stem thing but that's because I never had a bike that truly was too long. Every year I just go longer and longer.

But to get back to your problem. You will put less pressure on your front wheel, you will get a more upright position and it will get less stable at speed. Good or bad? That is for you to decide.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The thing I am trying to accomplish is 'wheelie on demand' without looping out. I seem to have a hard time pulling up the front end on rowdy DH's and wheelie dropping, due to the long TT/reach of my Altitude. This might fix it, but I am concerned with the steering getting too 'fast'.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
The thing I am trying to accomplish is 'wheelie on demand' without looping out. I seem to have a hard time pulling up the front end on rowdy DH's and wheelie dropping, due to the long TT/reach of my Altitude. This might fix it, but I am concerned with the steering getting too 'fast'.
Would that really help that much? I don't think so... Put your bars slightly higher and try again..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Riding buddy explored the limits of short stems, he gave up at 35mm due to lack of stability.

how wide are your bars? Skinnier bars not only reduce reach like a shorter stem but increase your range of motion so it will be easier to throw your weight fore/aft. And at the end of the day that wheel comes up the faster you move that booty on back.

I'd recommend going to the gym and working on a big old badonkadonk and move that COG back.

Or you could mount one of those seatpost racks weighted for counterbalance.

Last edited:

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I would think a 15mm shorter stem would make a difference (my stem is as high as it can go)
Agree on maybe narrower bars..

How high are your bars? Test a higher? Borrow a set from a friend and try it out. (this will shorten your reach)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I really don't like anything shorter than 40mm, for handling reasons. Front wheel unweights too much, and having the stem much shorter than the fork offset makes the steering start to feel really twitchy.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Mondraker fg10 or 20 stem and flat bars would be cheaper, and look weirder....
You wont know if you like it till you try it.

sorta off topic oh, I don't know what you have for a headset. Works components makes some reach adjust headsets. But they are only like 6 or 7 max.
They also make angle sets, if you wanted the bike slacker, it also shortens the cockpit slightly.

Perhaps you could combine a 35mm stem (assuming your not that short already) and a reach adjust headset and get right where you want to be.