Quantcast

Dumb Question: How do you measure the stroke of a Fox Vanilla RC?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Hey, I know this will sound like a dumb question. I have a Fox Vanilla RC and I am not sure if it is a 2" or 2.25" stroke. Do you just measure the shaft on the shock up to where the bumper is or do you measure the whole shaft? Or, is the stroke determined some other way?

Thanks a lot for your help in answering my question!

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
I'm pretty sure that stroke length is proportional to the shock length (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you know how long the shock is eye-to-eye, you should be able to find out how long the stroke is from the Fox website or something.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by swiss_less
I'm pretty sure that stroke length is proportional to the shock length (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you know how long the shock is eye-to-eye, you should be able to find out how long the stroke is from the Fox website or something.
e.g. You can have the same E2E on two shocks and one have a 2.00 stroke vs. 2.25 for the other.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The stroke length has little to do with the eye to eye of the shock. The stroke length includes the length covered by the bumper, as the bumper compresses when you bottom it out.

The stroke length should be right on the spring, though.. The spring should say something like "500 x 2.00". If it's not, just take a ruler and measure the entire shaft that is protruding from the shock body, including the bumper.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Do NOT go by the spring stroke - the spring is supposed to be longer than the damper, to prevent coil bind.

Take the spring off the damper. Slide the rubber bumper up to the middle of the damper shaft. Measure with a caliper, the distance from the end of the damper body to the point on the shaft where its diameter increases. In other words, measure all of the exposed shaft that could potentially fit up into the damper body.

That is your stroke length.

here's a 2.25" shock:

Attachments